Matcha Panna Cotta Notta

Green Tea Panna Cotta Notta

Green Tea Panna Cotta Notta

Based on popular demand, I have created a new vegan panna cotta recipe.  I removed the cocoa and used green tea powder (matcha).  This time you will taste a rich combination of sweetened green tea, coconut and almond.  I served it on a melted mango sorbet that I had previously made, but you could also puree fresh fruit to put under it, over it, or just enjoy it on its own.

You do not need to use as much agave nectar in this one because the matcha is already sweetened.

And, this is an AWARD WINNING matcha recipe.

• 2 Cups Unsweetened Almond Milk
  • 1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract*
  • 4 Teaspoons Agar Agar Powder
  • 3 Tablespoons Green Tea Powder (matcha)
  • 1/4 Cup Coconut Oil
  • 1/8 Cup Agave Nectar

Directions

In a saucepan add almond milk and agar agar, let it sit for 5 minutes to allow agar agar to soften.

In a medium bowl add green tea powder, coconut oil, and agave nectar – stir to combine ingredients thoroughly and set aside.

Bring almond milk, agar agar and vanilla to a simmer then reduce and cook for 8 minutes.  Add green tea mixture and stir to combine for 30 seconds.  Remove from heat.

Pour into 4 ramekins or small glasses.  (Use ramekins if you plan to turn out onto plates.  Use glasses if you intend to serve panna cotta’s in their own containers.)

Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.

To release panna cotta from ramekins – run a knife around edges of panna cotta and place individual ramekin into warm water for approximately 30 seconds.  Put plate on top of ramekin and turn over to release panna cotta from ramekin.

Plate with melted fruit sorbet or pureed fresh fruit.

*You can also use a vanilla bean, instead of vanilla extract in this recipe.  Split the vanilla bean and scrape the seeds.  Place the pod and seeds in the almond milk and agar agar mixture just before you start to simmer the mixture.  Remove the pods before adding in the green tea mixture.

sarah June 4, 2014 at 3:55 pm

just tried this out. have only stolen a single bite (plan to plate it nicely for company tonight) and i liked it, however the green tea flavor seems incredibly strong to the point where i wonder whether 1/3 to 1/2 the amount called for might yield a more balanced taste. my matcha powder is not pre-sweetened (I’ve never come across that!)- do you think that could have skewed my result? thanks for the recipe!

Pamela June 4, 2014 at 4:06 pm

Hi Sarah,
My guess would be that it’s the matcha. They all tend to have their own potency and the freshness of it also plays into the potency. The sweetened matcha powder generally comes in a smaller tin. The unsweetened matcha comes in the larger boxes/bags/vacuum sealed bags. If you want to downplay the matcha flavor in this, you could serve this on the coulis (from the recipe) or just make a simple fruit puree to put under it. Things like peaches, pineapple, strawberries or even blueberries would pair great with it. I’m so glad to hear you like the flavor. If you like chocolate, you should also try the chocolate recipe for panna cotta notta. ;) ENJOY!!

Ella January 5, 2012 at 12:30 pm

Does your man know how lucky he is? This looks gorgeous.

Pamela January 5, 2012 at 2:05 pm

Ella, I try to remind him everyday. ;) If you think it looks good, wait til you try it. Ice cold Almond Joy is what it tastes like.

Joelle July 5, 2011 at 12:55 pm

Looks yum! Do you think I could sub the almond milk with coconut milk? Just starting to experiment with more dairy free desserts and not sure what the results are with all the different kinds of milk out there!

Pamela July 5, 2011 at 3:36 pm

Hi Joelle,

You could use coconut milk in place of the almond milk, but be aware that it will change the consistency. Coconut milk is much thicker than almond milk. The flavor will also change slightly. If you want to keep the same consistency and the nutty flavor you could substitute hazelnut milk.

All that being said, you could pretty much use any of the vegan type milks in this recipe. Consistencies may change and you’ll need to watch how it sets up with agar agar, but it will still taste great and be dairy free. :)

Evelyne@CheapEthnicEatz January 9, 2010 at 9:20 am

This looks just stunning and I love anything green tea. Congrats on the award

Erika from The Pastry Chef At Home January 7, 2010 at 8:22 pm

MMM…I love any dessert with matcha! I’ve never seen sweetened matcha before, only the pure ground tea. Interesting! Congratulations on your award :)