Crunchy Roasted Chickpeas

Crunchy Chickpeas

Crunchy Chickpeas

Aaaack!  I am dying over here.  Yes, I’m still doing my detox and I’m ripping my hair out.  Not that my 2 liquid meals a days aren’t fulfilling.  Oh, don’t cry for me…I get 1 solid meal a day too.  And no, it’s not a big pile of lettuce covered with puffs of some kind of calorie free air.  I’m actually fine with the food, but I need something to snack on.  If you haven’t guessed by now, this post isn’t about My Man’s Belly…this one is about my belly.

Snacks, or the lack thereof, are one of the main reasons people tend to fail when they are dieting/detoxing/eating healthy.  Yeah, you can chew on gum until your teeth fall out, but an entire pack of gum or 1 pound bag of carrot sticks can’t really fulfill that craving for something that crunches and has the flavor of a potato chip or cheese doodles.

Last month a friend of mine ran a recipe for an Italian favorite from her childhood – roasted chickpeas (garbanzo beans).   I immediately made them, inhaled them, then made a second batch.  I was hooked.  You can pretty much flavor these things with any seasonings you like: garlic, salt, cayenne pepper, garam masala, Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning and the list goes on and on.  So whatever you’re craving you can have.  Plus they are super easy to make.  And, I’m betting that you probably already have everything you need to make these in your cupboard.

You need to take some time yourself.  Yes, it’s wonderful that you do so many things for so many people: you show up to work on time, you volunteer for extra projects at work, you volunteer in your community, you spend time putting together meals for your significant other, you go to the gym, you clean your house, etc. etc.  But if you’re not taking some time out for yourself you aren’t helping yourself or anyone else in your life.  You need to take some quiet time where it’s all about you.  By doing this you can focus on who you are, what you like, and what you don’t like.  It allows you to re-focus your energy.  By taking some time for yourself, you’ll be energized to tackle projects and be more present in your relationship.

Serves 2-4

• 2 15.5 Ounce Cans Chickpeas (Garbanzo Beans)
  • Olive Oil Spray (or 1 1/2 Tablespoons Olive Oil)
  • Garlic Powder
  • Onion Powder
  • Piri Piri (or Cayenne Pepper)

Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees Farenheit.

Drain and rinse chickpeas in colander and let sit for 5 minutes.

Pour the chickpeas onto a foil lined, rimmed baking sheet.  Blot chickpeas dry with paper towels.  Make sure the chickpeas are dried well.

Spray chickpeas with a thin coating of olive oil spray.  Use your hands to roll chickpeas in oil to make sure all surfaces are covered.

Sprinkle seasonings onto chickpeas.

Bake for 30-40 minutes until browned and crunchy.

Be careful, as the chickpeas can sometimes pop like popcorn.

Kayla June 13, 2012 at 9:26 am

These sound delicious! But I was wondering about the caloric value. For a person trying to cut down on calories, how would they fare with 1 1/2 Tablespoons of oil, especially if eaten at one sitting.(on another website they said the roasted garbanzo beans only last 10 minutes before they’re all eaten) :-)

Pamela June 13, 2012 at 4:12 pm

Hi Kayla, It’s true…roasted chickpeas are highly addicting and once you roast both cans, it doesn’t really look like all that much, so it’s really easy to eat them all at one sitting. If you did that, using the 1 1/2 Tablespoons of oil, you’d be looking at roughly 1233 calories for 2 cans of beans (which is what the recipe calls for). Of course, they’re much higher in fiber and protein than chips, and there’s less fat in them than you would get from nuts, but there’s still a few calories there.

jenn August 6, 2011 at 1:45 pm

my husband and i are on our second phase of south beach, and i’m getting tired of snacking on cheese sticks and nuts. i’m craving potato chips, so this came just at the right time. going to put chickpeas on the grocery list. thanks!

charlene June 16, 2011 at 5:51 am

Wow, they look tasty and healthy!

Heather March 24, 2011 at 10:13 am

Just came across this site from The Book Hostess…thank goodness I did!! I gave up drinking alcohol for Lent and find that I want to snack at night (when I used to have a glass of wine) and popcorn is getting old. These are perfect! Thanks for sharing. Going to make 3 batches with different flavors tonight. Yep, not drinking also opens up a LOT of time to cook. :)

Heather February 20, 2011 at 8:55 pm

What a great recipe. Thanks for sharing. I love salty snack so I think this is a great recipe for me.

I am having a link party featuring healthy snacks. I would love it if you would link up.

aubrey September 7, 2010 at 4:03 pm

I just tried my own recipe for candied roasted chickpeas. It worked out well!

They’re sweet, carmel-y and salty.
Here’s my blog post link for them:

Pamela September 7, 2010 at 7:21 pm

Those look even more addicting than the salty/spicy chickpeas.

pegasuslegend April 12, 2010 at 4:11 pm

Thanks for the mention here your’s look lovely!

nicole January 26, 2010 at 11:24 am

I was just wondering if you can store these and for how long. I only eat 1/2 cup at a time. They really fill you up. Obviously the recipe makes much more than that so I need to know if I can store them or if I have to make my husband finish them of every time I make them

Pamela January 26, 2010 at 4:43 pm

Hi Nicole.

Yes, you can save these. I’ve stored them in an open container and munched on them for a couple of days. As long as they are crunchy when you first make them. If they are a bit on the softer side when you first make them, they will get softer the longer they sit. But you can make them crunchy again by popping them back into the oven.

krissy @ the food addicts January 14, 2010 at 4:04 pm

i’ve never had the pleasure of preparing meals with chickpeas yet, but this looks like something fun to do – especially because it can be eaten as a snack! crunchy and roasted sounds so good!

Emily January 14, 2010 at 9:30 am

My favourite kind of bean! I must make these, post-haste!
Love your blog. :)

Pamela January 14, 2010 at 11:44 am

Thanks Emily!

BNDQ8 January 14, 2010 at 5:25 am

perfect to snack on and a really nice recipe… :) love garlic salt..

Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite January 13, 2010 at 8:22 am

Yum! These look delicious! And you’re right – I DO have everything I need in my cupboard!!!

Anna January 12, 2010 at 7:21 pm

Girl you are funny, loved the description of your salad “big pile of lettuce covered with puffs of some kind of calorie free air” I’m laughing but I should be crying because that was exactly my lunch today.
I’ll try that tomorrow it looks delicious. ;-)

Pamela January 13, 2010 at 10:57 am

I hope your air puffs were delicious ;) . I feel for ya! I think you’ll be really happy with the crunchy garbanzos and you won’t feel guilty eating them.

Brad January 12, 2010 at 3:21 pm

Thanks for the recipe, I’ve never roasted a chickpea but will have to try them, they look tasty.

MaryMoh January 12, 2010 at 4:21 am

Looks very delicious. I love chickpeas. I can just snack on them while watching TV or reading.

Stacy January 12, 2010 at 1:02 am

Yum! These seem like the absolute perfect snack! Good luck on your detox :)