Frozen Pistachio Baklava Gelato

Pistachio Ice Cream

Frozen Pistachio Baklava Gelato

We love nuts in our house. In this case I’m referring to hard shelled fruits.  I had to clarify which nuts I am specifically referring to because Craig and I have been called nuts (on several occasions for various things) and we hang around with a bunch of nuts (friends) and we love them too.

The whole nut love fest is coming to a head in our house right now.  I’ve got at least seven bags of various nuts in my refrigerator at the moment.  But the nut that seems to be showing up in just about everything (ok, it’s not exactly crawling out of its bag and sidling up to my dish or plate and hopping up and shoving other foods aside with a heavy sigh) are pistachios.  I’ve been throwing pistachios on our salads and eating them by the handful.  Pistachio ice cream was always a favorite for both Craig and I (holy crap – we actually share something in common) and we still like pistachio ice cream, but as adults in Los Angeles it’s now pistachio gelato.

Speaking of pistachio gelato….It’s been getting warmer around here (finally), so the craving is also starting to brew for cold/frozen desserts.  I’ve found lots of gelato recipes, ice cream recipes and semifreddo recipes.  But none of them captured the frozen dessert flavor combination I’ve been looking for.  It has to be some kind of pistachio dessert recipe and it has to be a frozen dessert recipe.  So it was off to the lab (my kitchen) for me.

You know your man is nuts when the conversation goes like this:

C: When I win the lottery I’m buying a private jet  P: will you buy me something nice too?  C: the private jet will have a kitchen, that’ll be nice.

P: I am soooo sick, I feel awful C: Yeah, I feel awful for you babe…but just think of how awful you will feel when you have to take care of me because you got me sick.

P: What would you do if I wasn’t around anymore? C: Starve

Makes 1 Quart

• 1 Cup Unsalted Pistachios (shelled)
  • 1 Cup Filtered Water
  • 8 Ounces Mascarpone Cheese
  • 3/4 Cup Sugar
  • 2 Tablespoons Cointreau
  • 1 Teaspoon Grated Lemon Peel
  • 1/8 Teaspoon Ground Cardamom

Directions

Grind pistachios, in a food processor, to a fine powder.

In a medium saucepan, add all ingredients (including ground pistachios).

Stir, over medium high heat, until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture comes to a boil.

Transfer mixture to a bowl and chill in a refrigerator for at least 2 hours.

Pour mixture into an ice cream maker and process according to ice cream maker instructions.

Freeze for at least 4 hours before serving.  To have the gelato be a bit firmer, freeze overnight.  This dessert is much softer than traditional ice cream.

Belinda @zomppa May 26, 2010 at 6:52 pm

Such a great unusual gelato! The conversation is HILARIOUS.

Pamela May 28, 2010 at 11:57 am

Hi Belinda – I’m glad you liked our conversations. We have some doozies around here from time to time.

Evelyne@CheapEthnicEatz May 26, 2010 at 7:40 am

I adore pistachios…so putting this in my MUST ice creams to make. Thank you!

pegasuslegend May 25, 2010 at 7:22 pm

omg this looks awesome wow~~!

Conor @ HoldtheBeef May 23, 2010 at 12:13 am

This is totally my kind of gelato. The colours make me think carrot cake, which gets me pre-salivating, but then reading the ingredients really gets me excited. I think I’ve been spending too much time at home this weekend! :)

Pamela May 25, 2010 at 7:02 pm

Hi Conor – Sorry to hear about the car :( I am sending you a virtual bowl of this gelato pronto!

Diane {createdbydiane.blogspot.com} May 21, 2010 at 7:31 pm

Sounds so good! I love pistachios gelato, the bakalava twist to it sounds right up my alley!
It was great to meet you at camp!

Pamela May 25, 2010 at 7:03 pm

It was great meeting you at camp too! Pistachio’s and baklava are a big favorite around here.

Gisele May 21, 2010 at 5:40 pm

When I was a kid pistachio ice cream was one of my favorites (so I’m not nuts, eh?) Haven’t had it in years. Maybe time to go into the lab.

joanne May 20, 2010 at 7:56 pm

wow! this looks awesome! like nothing i’ve ever seen before, makes me want to run out RIGHT NOW and buy an ice cream freezer! thanks for sharing…joanne

Pamela May 21, 2010 at 11:43 am

Joanne – You could make this one without the ice cream maker. Just stir it thoroughly, place in the freezer and stir again every 30 minutes for 2 hours. This will keep the pistachio pieces from settling all in one place.

Lubna – We definitely need to get together soon! I’ll bring something yummy….I promise.

Penny – If I could figure out a way to get this to you, while it was still frozen, along with more crunchy peanut butter I definitely will do that :)

Lubna May 20, 2010 at 1:14 pm

Pam, from one nut to another… I love your recipes and your banter. Can’t wait to share some food and laughs again. xoxo

penny aka jeroxie May 19, 2010 at 10:13 pm

I wisht that this is something you could send over!