Make Your Own Butter On Purpose

homemade butter, truffle butter, homemade truffle butter

Have you ever decided to make your own whipped cream instead of using that aerosol can or tub of frozen goo?  Was your heavy whipping cream spinning along nicely and peaking to perfection?  Did your phone ring and when you went back to your mixer there were yellowish globs bobbing around in a thin white liquid?  That happy little accident you just created was butter.  Okay, it wasn’t a happy time at the moment because all the cream you had was in there and your dinner guests were waiting patiently for their dessert to be served.  But hey, you made butter.   If an insurance company or lawyer isn’t needed when an accident has occurred it qualifies as a happy accident.

A couple of weeks ago, I had the pleasure of attending Trufflepalooza 2010.  You probably didn’t see anything about this on the news (although, it’s growing by leaps and bounds so it could happen next year).  My friend Erika, from In Erika’s Kitchen, throws this amazing shindig at her house.  This was the second year she put this on.  Erika has a line on fresh black summer truffles and transforms these not so pretty fungi into some truly exquisite dishes.  This year’s menu consisted of 9 courses of Truffle recipes.

One of the common denominators in the dishes was truffle butter.  Since the party, (which Craig was unable to attend due to his mom being in town) I have been craving the stuff.  I’ve got truffle salt in my cupboard and I’ve been sprinkling it on pretty much everything, but it’s not quite the same as the truffle butter.

Since I was having friends over this weekend, I thought that I would not only make homemade butter, but I would make my own white truffle butter.  Yes, you can buy white truffle butter.  But why do that when making your own butter is so easy.  Plus, you’ll have truffle salt leftover that you can use in other dishes. Once your store bought tub of truffle butter is gone, it’s gone.

I served the truffle butter with some sea salt (sprinkled on top of the butter) and fresh radishes from the farmer’s market.  The remaining butter was spooned into some hot pasta and slathered on slices of Italian bread that were then tossed in the oven to create truffle bread (like garlic bread).  Craig is now wishing he had gone with me to Trufflepalooza.  Maybe next year.

There’s happy accidents (your homemade whipped cream turns into homemade butter), accident accidents (the person in the car behind you is putting on her mascara at the light and rear ends your car) and not so accidental accidents (you found your significant others Google history and it’s not all TMZ, HuffingtonPost and MyMan’sBelly).

So you were on your partner’s computer, we all do it for one reason or another, and the page that immediately pops up is their Facebook page.  Suddenly you completely forget what you went to the computer to do and now you’re eyes are transfixed on that block of friends and the astounding number that appears in the corner.  Now you find yourself perusing their friend database and notice that there’s a disproportionate number of the opposite sex on there.  Now you start looking a little closer and when you decide to Google one of the familiar names on the list you “stumble” upon their browser history.

WHA-WHA-WHAT!?!  Now you find a trail of digital breadcrumbs that include that girl/guy he/she dated several years ago.  So now you’re staring at one site after the other that makes your partner either look like a stalker of the worst kind or that they are cheating on you.  Now what?

First of all, shame on you for poking around on their computer.  You needed to use their computer, that’s not the problem.  The problem started when you began poking around on their Facebook page instead of just going about the business you set out to do (unless you were lying about needing their computer so that you could spy on them.  Shame on you.  But that’s a story for another day.)

But now the damage has been done and it’s time for you to come clean and have a talk with your significant other.  You need to start off with telling them what you did.  That includes all of your cyber sleuthing.  Then apologize and admit that it won’t ever happen again (and mean it).  The next step is totally optional but you can ask the questions that are bothering you (and don’t be accusatory).  I say it’s optional because you need to be prepared for the answers you may get.  Like: “She’s an ex-girlfriend that really turns me on so sometimes I take care of business by looking at her pictures – but she doesn’t mean anything to me.” or “He’s an old friend from high school that hit me up on Facebook and now we chat from time to time.”  If you are prepared to hear things like this without flying into a rage, then by all means ask the questions.  If you can’t handle hearing something like this, then don’t ask the questions.

People are allowed to have their fantasies (as long as they aren’t acting on it) and their privacy.  If you cross the line of either one of those things, without being asked, you run the risk of being hurt and losing their trust.

papawow August 15, 2010 at 7:00 pm

Whaaaaa? There was a Trufflepalooza 2010 and I wasn’t invited? I wonder if one could die from eating their own weight in those delicious little gems-that-look-like-turds. Great idea here, and I love butter and radishes!

Lynne @ CookandBeMerry August 13, 2010 at 10:32 pm

I would like to make some of your Truffle Butter. Where do you get the Truffle Salt? I especially liked the Truffle Butter on the Steak Crostini at the Trufflepalooza. I had a dream about it one night. LOL.

Pamela August 14, 2010 at 11:20 am

Hi Lynne – I use O & Co (Oliviers and Company) truffle salt. The steak crostini were one of my favorites too.

Lawyer Loves Lunch August 12, 2010 at 3:28 pm

How come your cooking accidents result in cool things like butter while man just result in burnt bread?!? So excited to try this out- it looks like such a neat project :)

Pamela August 12, 2010 at 9:36 pm

Oh, rest assured…most of my cooking accidents are NOT happy accidents. Like the time(s) I put hot liquids in the blender and forget that putting the lid on it during blending will cause a massive eruption coating my ceiling in whatever was supposed to be my dinner. Or shoving the handle of a wooden spoon into the blender to push down the contents and finding it being ground up with my smoothie (lots of extra fiber in that one).

Or…overfilling my pies and watching the contents bubble up and burn on the floor of my oven. Of course, there are also the times I forget that my hands are not made of teflon and I try to take cookie sheets out of the oven with my bare hands. That s*#$t hurts!

Rest assured…I have my fare share of cooking accidents that are not all sunshine and roses. Sometimes they make it on my blog, but they ALWAYS make it on my Twitter account. (@MyMansBelly)

But the butter is a good thing and you’ll fall in love with it the very first time that you do it! I promise you. :)

Lentil Breakdown August 11, 2010 at 5:31 pm

Why wouldn’t you be friends with your significant other on FB in the first place unless you have something to hide? I’d be ok with discovering his whole harem of whores, but he better not hide that truffle butter.

Jen Cheung August 11, 2010 at 1:01 pm

looks like a lot of work. making homemade butter eh?? I’m way too lazy to do that hehhehe. but it sure is rewarding at the end of the hard work eh??

Pamela August 11, 2010 at 6:13 pm

Eh…it’s not really that much work. The work that does go into though makes it totally worth it though. You can’t believe how good butter can actually taste. Can’t wait to use it in some baked goods now.

Ivy @ My Simple Food August 11, 2010 at 7:08 am

Hi!! I confessed I had no idea how to make butter cos I just buy them from the stores :)

My husband and I use each other’s iphone all the time and I must say whenever I am on his (to play games or to google) sometimes I can’t resist to check his FB page and even his emails. I am just nosey and probably bored. he knows that about me and if fine with it.

Pamela August 11, 2010 at 6:16 pm

Ivy – you’ve got to try making your own butter sometime. Especially if you have company coming over. You can serve it with some radishes or with bread. Add some roasted garlic and you’ll have the most amazing garlic butter ever!!!!!

My husband gets on my computer all the time and is constantly bombarded with guys that are on my ICQ. He knows that I work with almost all of them, but he still thinks it’s funny that only about 1% of my IM’s come from women. What can I say…it’s the computer/internet world…not many women.

marla {family fresh cooking} August 10, 2010 at 6:55 pm

Yes, I have accidentally made butter before & I think I dumped it. That was back in the day before I knew any better. Erika’s truffle butter was amazing. I am so glad I got to experience it & glad you figured out how to make it. The online thing: some things are better left ignored :)

Pamela August 11, 2010 at 6:16 pm

“The online thing: some things are better left ignored” A-MEN sister!

lisaiscooking August 10, 2010 at 9:06 am

I think the possibilities might be endless for homemade truffle butter! Love the idea of truffle bread, and I want to try scrambling eggs in it. I want this in my refrigerator always.

Kim at Rustic Garden Bistro August 9, 2010 at 9:44 pm

Great to see you (albeit briefly) at Trufflepalooza!

And, that was some DELICIOUS truffle butter. I already can’t wait until next year.

We have one computer at home… sometimes it’s my FB that’s logged in. Sometimes, it’s his. We have a lot of overlapping friends, so on occassion, I’ve caught myself leaving a comment on a friend’s page (from Mr. RGBistro). Whoops. Can’t say I’ve ever snooped into his inbox or page or personal messages, tho. But is it weird to like knowing that I can, at any moment? :P

Have a great week!