Malted Pumpkin Spice Cake with Streusel Topping

malted pumpkin spice cake, pumpkin spice cake, pumpkin spice cake with streusel topping

I feel like I am among friends here and that I can make a confession…one that may change the way you think about me forever…I don’t like pumpkin pie.  I love the way it looks, I love the way it smells in the oven…but I just can’t get past the mouth feel of it.  I won’t get into what it reminds me of, because this is a food blog after all, but suffice it to say it’s not something pleasant.  Okay…so I said it.  Are you still there?  Yay – you still love me!

I do like pumpkin though.  Being that I have a severe, yet very public, roasting fetish…I love roasted pumpkin as a side dish or as part of my main course (like in this whole wheat pasta with roasted pumpkin).  But tradition demands that fall dining must include a pumpkin dessert.  There’s quite a few choices for the pumpkin dessert but my favorite is a pumpkin spice cake.  Of course, I can’t let tradition go on as usual.  I need to tug and tweak and turn that canned pumpkin into something just a bit more.  So I make a malted pumpkin spice cake with a crunchy pecan streusel topping.  And just to show everyone I mean business, I drizzle a sweet confectioners’ sugar glaze on top.

One of the great things about this malted pumpkin spice cake, aside from it’s great flavors, is that it’s really quite user friendly.  What I mean by that is you can cook this in a sheet pan, a loaf pan, a bundt cake pan, mini loaf pan or in a cupcake pan.  Since we seem to go and visit a lot of people this time of year, I like to bake up loafs of this pumpkin spice cake and give it as a hostess gift.  Everyone loves to get this because they usually end up eating it for breakfast the morning after they’ve thrown a party.  And who wants to deal with making breakfast after doing all of that work the night before?  The other reason why it makes such a great hostess gift is because it’s something that is homemade and isn’t going to sit around collecting dust.  I know I don’t have room for any more dust collectors, so I try to use that same rule of thumb when giving gifts.

Malted-Pumpkin-Spice-Cake I made the mistake of telling Craig that I was making him a pumpkin dessert, before I made  this the other day.  Poor guy!  He got all excited thinking that I was finally breaking down and making him a pumpkin pie.  I tried to let him down easy by telling him that I was making something just as delicious.  As I watched him pout around with his bottom lip sticking out, I felt like I was dealing with a 4 year old (and people think I don’t have kids…I’ve got twins dammit!  My husband and the dog.  Most days I can only tell the 2 of them apart because one has a big curly tail).  I listed all the yummy things that would be in the pumpkin dessert like canned pumpkin (that’s in pumpkin pies), the very same pumpkin pie spices, a crunchy streusel topping and a nice and sweet sugar glaze.  He started to warm up a bit and then I hit him with the malt.  He squinched up his nose and I let out a groan and headed into the kitchen.

Later that day, as the pumpkin spice cake sat out on the counter I watched him circle it like a cat circling a bird.  I told him to quit being a baby and to try a piece.  Half the loaf later I had to pull it away from him so I could take some pictures.  I sent the rest into work with him and I’m not totally convinced that it ever made it out of his office.

Since it looks like the great canned pumpkin shortage of 2010 isn’t going to come to fruition…you can bake your little pumpkin hearts out.

We have a friend staying with us for a few days who has had a pretty crummy year.  After talking with him this afternoon it really made me think of some advice that I gave earlier this year from a friend in China: Treat them like a guest.  Meaning treat the one’s you love as if they were your guest.  We tend to treat those closest to us much worse than we treat someone who is a guest in our home.

Tammy Murphy October 8, 2011 at 5:46 am

Just made this last night, haven’t tasted it yet.
I was a dummy and needed to make 3 loaves, didn’t read that the recipe made 2!
So now I have 6 loaves worth but baked 2 in a bundt pan and the other 4 in a 9×13 pan! I thought for sure it was going over!
Anyway, I thought I would mention, I hate pumpkin pie too :(
I thought I hated everything pumpkin until last year when I found pumpkin spice muffins at Tim Hortons….. now I am addicted!
BTW, where did you find the malted milk powder? I couldn’t find it anywhere, what would be a good substitute?

Thanks
Tammy

Pamela October 8, 2011 at 3:56 pm

Hi Tammy,

You could always wrap and freeze the extra loaves. Just wrap them in freezer paper then slide into a ziptop bag. Remove all of the air an freeze. And this bread makes amazing french toast. I usually end up making it when I’ve got a loaf still hanging around on the weekend.
I used Nestle malted milk powder. It’s usually fairly easy to find. I’ll work on finding some sort of sub for you. :)

tammy October 8, 2011 at 4:21 pm

Thanks Pamela,
Don’t worry about the sub for the milk powder, now that I know it was nestle I can probably find it in the grocery store!
I ended up using turtles hot chocolate mix, I figured it was better than nothing!

Wonderful recipe, my in laws are raving about it right now!

Denise November 12, 2010 at 8:57 am

I don’t like pumpkin pie either … seems like it just gets stuck in my throat. This cake is just unbelievably good … thanks so much for sharing!

Pamela November 12, 2010 at 3:20 pm

Yay! Someone else that’s not a fan and is willing to come out. We’re few and far between, but you’re in some good company. :)

Amanda November 9, 2010 at 10:33 am

Looks super yummy! Love the streusel topping and icing glaze. I’ll be saving this recipe!

Betty @ scrambled hen fruit October 29, 2010 at 7:05 pm

This looks so good-I love the streusel on top!

Pamela October 29, 2010 at 10:40 pm

It’s really good…and the streusel is almost the least of it. :)

bunkycooks October 28, 2010 at 7:12 pm

Cakes and pies…I have enough pumpkin to make all of them for the next year or two! I can send you send you some fresh pumpkin to bake more cakes!!! I never thought about the weird mouth thing for pie…I have always liked it!

marla {family fresh cooking} October 28, 2010 at 6:31 pm

A very great pumpkin cake you created here. Glad to hear you are part of the pumpkin club, otherwise I might think you were cringing at EVERYTHING pumpkin on all of our food blogs these days. That streusel topping is quite the looker & keeper :) xo

penny aka jeroxie October 28, 2010 at 6:25 pm

That looks delicious! the topping is just mouth-watering.

Belinda @zomppa October 28, 2010 at 11:54 am

Great advice. I prefer cake over pie!

naomi October 28, 2010 at 11:47 am

The addition of the malted powder sounds really interesting. I”m gonna have to give this a go.

The bread looks to die for!!! Holy cow, my husband saw it and immediately asked for it.

Ken│hungry rabbit October 28, 2010 at 10:47 am

Moist and delicious, love the addition of malted milk powder which adds a nice retro touch.

Beth October 28, 2010 at 9:50 am

Malt, pumpkin and streusel?! This recipe is printing right now! :)

Kare October 28, 2010 at 9:06 am

My pumpkin pie hating sister! I love just about everything pumpkin, except for pumpkin pie. It’s gross. I’m with ya.

This cake is spectacular.

Pamela October 28, 2010 at 9:23 am

Amen! I am so glad to have found someone who’s with me on this. Most people look at me like I’m a wierdo (mostly cuz I am) for not liking the stuff. It’s not like I offended their mother or anything. Unless, of course, they were birthed in a pumpkin patch, then maybe I guess I did. ;)

lisaiscooking October 28, 2010 at 8:24 am

I’ll make a confession too: I’m having serious pumpkin cravings this fall. I want every single pumpkin dish I see. This cake looks amazing, and I’d like to taste it in bundt shape, loaf pan form, and from a muffin tin. I have some baking to do!

Roxan October 28, 2010 at 7:41 am

This looks good! I Love pumpkin bread, and when it’s malted and spiced into a cake, AND topped with icing, I am over the moon for it! :)