Christmas Candy Recipes: Bacon Peanut Brittle Recipe

bacon peanut brittle, peanut brittle recipe, christmas candy recipes, peanut brittle, cooca nib brittle, bacon, peanut, brittle

Sometimes the universe works in the strangest ways.  There are times when the most unlikely pairings come together, perform the horizontal mambo and create a soup of DNA that is superior to each individual’s genetic contribution.  I give you the Schnoodle.  This adorable dog is the hypoallergenic offspring of a schnauzer and a poodle.  Perfect for the allergic dog owner.  Or how about thick rimmed nerdy glasses, a la Buddy Holly, with a plunging neckline?  Scarlett Johansson and other women have pulled it off and now it’s a fashion trend.  So all you blind fashion plates can proudly wear your glasses again and see things you haven’t seen in years because you were too vain to wear those clunky glasses. Now take a look at Paris Jackson, the adorable daughter of Michael Jackson (he looked good before he went under the knife a hundred times) and Debbie Rowe.  Okay, I don’t really have a point with that one other than the two of them created something better than each one singularly.   But how about this unusual coupling – peanuts and bacon?

Drum roll please…..I give you bacon peanut brittle!

Yes, I know, everything is better with bacon.  But I didn’t think it was possible to improve on the classic peanut brittle recipe.  You’ve got salt, sweet and crunch all rolled up into one perfect little bite size package (a hormonal woman’s best friend…as well as 9 out of 10 dentist’s surveyed).  But when you bring that pork fat/smoky bacon (ok and some more salt) and throw it into the mix you’ve got a ménage à trois that can not be kept under wraps.

Some people would call this pig candy.  I suppose you could, because it is candy with pig in it, but technically speaking pig candy is brown sugar coated pieces of bacon (also a delightful treat, but not quite what you’d expect in box of Christmas candy).  No, this bacon peanut brittle recipe is the real deal.  I mean it’s a real peanut brittle recipe with the addition of bacon to that crunchy goodness.

If you read my previous post for cocoa nib brittle, you’ll probably think that I’ve gone off the deep end and plan on inundating you with brittle recipes.  I’m not going to do that, but having sampled some (very expensive, albeit delicious) bacon peanut brittle this past summer, I was inspired to create my own bacon peanut brittle recipe after seeing how easy it was to make the cocoa nib brittle.

So rest assured, you will be getting lots of Christmas candy recipes from me this December.  In fact, with the exception of the Friday cocktail recipes, all posts in December will be Christmas candy recipes.

So you’re not sure if you and your significant other are on the same page.  Meaning, you just aren’t sure how they really feel about you anymore.  According to some recent research, there’s a really easy (you could call it sneaky, but it’s really not) way to figure it out.  And you can tell that I’m not talking about hiring a PI or attaching a GPS unit to their car, or hacking their e-mail.  If you’re at that point in the relationship, there is no relationship…it’s over.

Did you know that when you and your partner are happy together you tend to talk alike?  A similar thing happens when you read a book (immediately after reading your speech will mimic the author’s writing style) or after two people watch a move and as the credits begin to roll you’ll both talk to each other using language from the film.  Tell me you didn’t have the worst potty mouth after watching Pulp Fiction.

A recent study has shown that verbal style between couples changes when they are not happy in their relationship.  Of course the obvious string of swear words and name calling means the party is probably over, but this refers to more subtle shifts in the language style.  So if your partner usually adds in a lot of ‘likes’ and ‘you know’ just like you do, things are all good.  If they start speaking like a Harvard professor…your relationship might be over.

Stan December 21, 2011 at 10:01 am

I have been making peanut brittle for over 25 years. My father taught me

I make several varieties

This is a must for me to try.

Debi (Table Talk) December 6, 2010 at 8:39 pm

Well, bacon jam works, why not bacon brittle. I will have to add this one to my to-do list for the holidays~

Pamela December 7, 2010 at 9:23 am

If you like bacon jam, like I do, you’re really going to like this brittle. It’s addicting!

Julia December 6, 2010 at 9:16 am

You are right…sometimes when we pair two unlikely things, the result is something truly divine! Bacon and peanut brittle could possibly be two of my all time favorite foods. I cannot believe that you have combined the two—I would have never imagined to do such a thing. I am intrigued and I can’t wait to try this marriage of salt and sweet.

Amy December 4, 2010 at 11:02 am

How long do you think the shelf life is on this? If I were to make ahead for Christmas Presents?

Pamela December 4, 2010 at 1:46 pm

Hi Amy – You should be good making this up to 2 weeks before giving it as gifts. (This will be in my Christmas candy gift package as well.) Just remember to get it broken up and into an airtight container as soon as it’s cooled off. If you don’t, it will get a bit sticky on top, but is still crunchy. You’re going to have some very happy people on your Christmas list this year! :)

phyllis September 13, 2011 at 6:13 am

Can this bacon brittle be frozen to last longer.

fooddreamer December 3, 2010 at 9:48 am

So I haven’t totally been sold on the bacon in sweets, particularly chocolate…but here’s the thing. One of my favourite things ever growing up was a bacon and peanut butter sandwich. So I think bacon peanut brittle would be REALLY good! I am going to give this one a try.

Pamela December 3, 2010 at 6:24 pm

I think you’re really going to like this then. Leave off the chocolate though. This stuff is addicting. (consider yourself warned) :)

Anna Johnston December 3, 2010 at 5:32 am

Don’t think I’ve ever tasted anything like this, intriguing :) Great relationship advice too.

Marla December 2, 2010 at 5:41 pm

Nice work Pamela! This brittle offers all the sweet & salty greatness a gal could ask for. Those chunks of bacon are awesome!! xo

Melody Fury December 2, 2010 at 5:07 pm

What a stunning holiday recipe! Would you like to submit it to my contest to win a cookbook? Just wanting to share the holiday cheer (and exposure to your blog) Would love for you to win :) http://ow.ly/3j61M

Pamela December 2, 2010 at 5:50 pm

Thanks Melody! I sent the photo to you, but I am actually in the Foodista cookbook (which is wonderful btw). My blueberry compote is in there.

Brad December 2, 2010 at 4:36 pm

You can never have too much brittle around the holidays and wow what great idea to add the bacon! Wanna exchange Christmas cookies by mail? We are gonna make a bunch the next few weekends…

Pamela December 2, 2010 at 5:51 pm

I’m all in for that. But since I don’t do the cookies…it would have to be one of my candies (maybe this one?) Let me know. I love to eat cookies, just not make them.

pegasuslegend December 2, 2010 at 4:03 pm

Wow what an amazing peanut brittle! Very nicely done! So unique too!

Joy December 2, 2010 at 11:38 am

I love the recipe.

The Food Hound December 2, 2010 at 7:08 am

WOW. This brittle looks amazing– I can smell is from here!! I am such a sucker for the sweet-savory flavor combo, and this will make my tastebuds to cartwheels! The Booze Hound will want to marry me all over again, hah!

Pamela December 2, 2010 at 10:53 am

This is a vows renewal recipe for sure!

Belinda @zomppa December 1, 2010 at 7:35 pm

Fascinating study!! Schnoodle sounds adorable, as does this brittle!