Cream of Asparagus Soup for the Soul

cream of asparagus soup, asparagus soup, asparagus soup recipe, clean detox recipes, detox recipes, dairy free soup, gluten free soup

It’s not exactly soup weather here in LA.  It’s been in the 80’s for almost a week now.  I’m not complaining (much), except for the fact that the weather this week has been warmer than it was for us all summer.  HELL-OOOOOO it’s January!  All I wanted to do today was fire up the grill and sit on my deck and drink a bottle glass of rosé.  Of course, I can’t sit out in the sun at the moment, as my face will probably get third degree sunburn (would totally defeat the purpose of that lasering I had done) and the wine is still a no no (for only 1 more week) as I’m still doing the clean detox.  Whoa is me.

Since I was inside, I got to watch the Ricky Gervais video clips from last night’s Golden Globes.  I love this man!  Reverence and political correctness be damned!  I like Ricky because he says what’s on his mind and doesn’t utilize a massive filter between his brain and his mouth.  Sound like anyone else you know?  I also found it especially humorous that several entertainment writers and news people were blathering on and on about how disrespectful he was and how unfunny he was and how awful the things he said were.  Gimme a break!  These are the same people who are shouting from the rooftops every time Charlie Sheen is seen with a hooker, has a drunken bender or holds out for more money on his contract.  These are also the same people who pointed out how photoshopped the Sex and the City posters were, how long Mel Gibson has been an anti-semite and reviewed The Tourist as being a terrible movie.  Of course, Ricky Gervais doesn’t need to suck up to these people because he doesn’t have to interview them later.  But how about we all take a step back and not take ourselves so seriously.

So back to me.  Today is the start of my last week on my cleanse.  I’m officially down 3.75 pounds, fit back into my skinny jeans and couldn’t be more excited for this to be my final week.  It’s not that I haven’t been enjoying my clean detox recipes, I have, but for some reason I am really jonesing for some wine.  The weird thing is, I don’t normally have cravings of any kind, so I’m not entirely sure what’s going on.  But I am sure about this cream of asparagus soup.

Yes, it’s too damn hot to be eating soup right now in LA, but I do really love the stuff.  Plus, after watching an old Japanese Iron Chef episode, where they made an asparagus soup recipe very similar to this, I had to make it.  I’ll be the first to admit that it’s an unorthodox cream of asparagus soup…I mean, there’s no cream in it.  In fact, it’s dairy free.  (I can’t have any dairy on my cleanse.)  Plus, it’s got a ton of mushrooms in it.  So I suppose you could also call it cream of mushroom soup, but that would be weird since it’s green.

Cream-of-Asparagus-Soup

And in the vein of less filtering…the photographs of the asparagus soup were taken the day after I made it, so the green color isn’t quite as bright and springlike as it is the day you make it.

Contrary to popular belief, or maybe that’s just what we mere mortals would like to think, beauty does not equal stupid.  According to researchers, not only do the beautiful people seem to get all the breaks in life they apparently tend to get the brains too.  The study found that “physical attractiveness is significantly positively associated with general intelligence.”

To further throw a slushee in the faces of the general population they concluded that smart men are usually more successful.  Successful men tend to marry beautiful women (who were found to have an IQ of 11.4 points higher than average women).  Beauty and intelligence are both inherited traits, so the smart and beautiful people begat more smart and beautiful people.

Of course, the researchers concluded with the statement that these findings are not a prescription for how to treat others.  Seriously?  Where’s that bottle of rosé?

Petite Hermine February 2, 2011 at 5:06 pm

Sounds delicious! Another soup recipe to try :)

Heather @ Multiply Delicious February 1, 2011 at 10:06 am

Hi Pamela! I’m on day 20 of the same detox/cleanse. I didn’t know you were doing it too. How are you feeling? I’m feeling great but like you looking forward to having a few things I’ve missed. Did your body go into shock when you started to introduce foods that were on the “no” list?
This soup sounds great! I love asparagus. I will have to try tonight or tomorrow.

Pamela February 1, 2011 at 12:49 pm

I feel great! I finished last Monday. You just need to work some foods back in slowly (esp cheese). You’ll know, very quickly, if you overdid it on the food. It’s not pretty either. ;) I still take it easy, with my diet, for a few weeks after finishing. Plus, I follow a few of the tenets from the cleanse going forward.

Betty @ scrambled hen fruit January 22, 2011 at 11:20 pm

Well it’s not too hot (here on the east coast) for soup, and this one looks delicious. I’m wondering if the asparagus that I froze last spring would work- I’m going to give it a try! :)

Lentil Breakdown January 19, 2011 at 11:42 pm

Ha. You funny! And the soup, yummy! I just bought a box of that almond milk for no good reason other than it was on sale. And shitakes and hazelnuts are weaknesses of mine, so it’s off to Sprouts to get some asparagus which is on sale this week. Hey, maybe I’ll make this for the FBLA meeting. (LOL, if I do say so myself : )

lisaiscooking January 19, 2011 at 4:13 pm

Ricky was great–he was the only reason I watched the globes! This soup sounds lovely. I haven’t been on a cleanse, but I am attempting to reduce my dairy intake so this is perfect.

Debi (Table Talk) January 19, 2011 at 9:49 am

Asparagus is definitely one that purees nicely all on its own, without having to add a whole lot to it to realize its creaminess. I have never used almond milk–I guess my dad was right: You learn something new every day!

Jennifer @ Savory Simple January 18, 2011 at 6:21 pm

Sounds delicious! I love making cream soups without the cream. So much lighter but they’re still hearty and full of flavor!

Pamela January 18, 2011 at 8:14 pm

I have a lot of fun making ‘cream’ soups without cream and watching people’s faces when they learn it’s not cream in there.

Lana January 18, 2011 at 6:18 pm

He, he, I make soup EVERY DAY! There would be a revolution in my house without a soup:) And yesterday I made braised lamb shanks for my Dad who is leaving soon back to Europe… In THIS weather (at least it was Mediterranean inspired:)

I love cream soups without dairy (long-live the immersion blender, my best friend) and asparagus soup is one of the favorites. Adding mushrooms is a great variation.

I envy you on your determination. My resolve cracked after two weeks when I hurt my eye, and I had to reach for the wine:(

BTW, we enjoyed Ricky G. too. My husband just adores him.

See you soon!

Pamela January 18, 2011 at 8:15 pm

I don’t know what I would do without my immersion blender. Yes I do, I’d be doing a lot of cleaning of my ceiling (a few of those hot liquid explosions). Braised lamb shanks sound divine!

Brian @ A Thought For Food January 18, 2011 at 11:21 am

Loving the creamless “Cream of Asparagus Soup”!!! I usually have a tough time doing anything besides roasting the asparagus because they’re just so darn tasty like that. But this soup looks fantastic!

Pamela January 18, 2011 at 8:15 pm

I’m a big roasted veggie fan too. But every once in a while I have to mix things up a bit.

The Food Hound January 18, 2011 at 6:19 am

I remember living in Hawaii and we never, ever made soup! Couldn’t bear it! This looks delish, though I admit I would find a way to put cream in it :) But nevertheless, I’ve been wanting to make a cream of broccoli or cream of asparagus soup!

Belinda @zomppa January 18, 2011 at 5:11 am

Interesting find. 80 degrees??? Over here is soup weather! Gotta watch his opening…