Chocolate Coffee Cake: Coffee Cake For Real

chocolate cake, cofee cake, chocolate coffee cake, espresso buttercream frosting

While I’m away enjoying a little R&R, I’ve asked a few of my friends to fill in for me and share some of their delicious creations with you.  Today, I’d like you to meet Ken from HungryRabbitNYC.  As his name implies…he hails from New York.  I live vicariously through Ken and his scrumptious baked goods.  I have been known to, on occasion, lick my monitor when viewing the photos of his beautiful baked creations (and this one was no exception).

Coffee Cake … for real

Greetings to all you Belly lovers. When Pamela asked me to do a guest post for My Man’s Belly, I was thrilled but with one reservation. I know you visit her blog regularly not only to see what Pamela has cooked but, like me, to read her witty Relationship Advice column. I can only offer something a bit different.

chocolate-coffee-cake
Since Hungry Rabbit has fully evolved into a dessert/baking blog, I naturally want to bake something that captures the energy and personality of My Man’s Belly. Both Pamela and I are participating in the Nudie Foodie project. Since I had the privilege of previewing some of her shots for the upcoming book/calendar, all I can say is, “chocolate chocolate, chocolate.” So after sipping a few of her “get me in trouble” cocktails, I finally figured out the appropriate post for here.

As Memorial Day launches us into summer, vacations, and . . . experimentation, it’s a time of optimism. Something about Memorial Day gives me the freedom and possibility to yearn for more. Maybe it’s my Leo/Virgo nature. More likely, it’s got something to do with being hungry for something new.

chocolate-coffee-cake

Let’s get the summer started with a bit of an energy booster. So, instead of baking a typical treat for a holiday weekend, let’s make a real coffee cake—Chocolate Coffee Cake with Espresso Buttercream. The rich, moist layer of chocolate cake is laced with espresso. The buttercream is full of coffee essence.

Enjoy the weekend, have a piece of cake, and hangout with family and friends.

RogerB March 9, 2014 at 4:49 pm

Only six and a half sticks of butter to make this? You could squeeze a couple more sticks into the recipe?

Pamela March 10, 2014 at 8:08 am

Well Roger, 7 sticks of butter seemed to be ridiculous. ;)

Casey Lauren November 1, 2011 at 2:46 pm

The only thing I would change for next time is maybe halving the icing recipe. I also might up the butter/cream ratio, making it more creamy instead of buttery.

Casey Lauren October 13, 2011 at 7:23 am

This is ridiculously amazing!!! I made it early this morning and even did the chocolate-covered espresso beans. I halved the recipe so its only a 2-layer…and I also forgot the boiling water! But somehow it still turned out wonderfully. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe!

Pamela October 20, 2011 at 12:37 pm

I’m so glad to hear you liked this cake. My friend Ken, is an AMAZING baker. It’s a good thing that we don’t live closer together, because I’d be gaining weight left and right.

Elizabeth @Mango_Queen October 4, 2011 at 6:28 am

How did I not see this post? This is absolutely divine !!!!! I am printing this now. I must bake thisChocolate Coffee Cake right away! Thanks for sharing the recipe. I already know this will be a winner here at home :-)

Jenn June 26, 2011 at 8:43 pm

Oh this cake sounds soooo good.

Carolyn Jung June 23, 2011 at 9:24 am

Coffee and chocolate truly are one of the most fabulous combinations in life. This cake marries both of them in one gorgeous package.

Vanessa June 23, 2011 at 8:23 am

This cake looks delicious. I love the combination of coffee and chocolate!

Quyen - Kitchen Runway June 9, 2011 at 11:00 pm

Oh this cake looks amazing! My husband & inlaws are huge coffee fans – I think I’m going to have to whip this up for them soon!

foodwanderings June 7, 2011 at 4:32 pm

Mmmm Pammy & Ken, two of my faves, exactly how I imagined it. Those slice snapshots afre just to die for!! Ken, beautifully written and Pammy I hope you enjoyed your time away!

The Food Hound June 1, 2011 at 5:44 pm

Oh I am SO loving this!! I am not a coffee person, but I love coffee flavored things like yogurt, ice cream… and frosting!! This might be the Booze Hound’s birthday cake since he hooks himself up to a coffee IV every morning :)

An Alaskan Cooks | Alaska Food and Wine June 1, 2011 at 10:19 am

This recipe is definitely a “buzz worthy” cake. It takes a great deal of encouragement to get me to switch from cooking mode into baking mode, but this may be the push I needed today. Merci!

Barbara | Creative Culinary May 31, 2011 at 11:10 am

So right up my ‘I love anything with espresso in it’ alley. I didn’t know you had ‘officially’ become a baking blog but now that I think of it Ken…why, yes you have! Beautiful too.

Evan May 31, 2011 at 7:06 am

I would be all over this dessert! Such a coffee fiend over here. Great guest post! :)

raquel.erecipe May 30, 2011 at 9:22 pm

I always love cake…really nice…frosting looks creamy =)

Brian @ A Thought For Food May 30, 2011 at 1:39 pm

Oh that frosting looks marvelous… actually, the whole thing looks fantastic. It’s just as sexy as Pamela is ;-)

The Cilantropist May 30, 2011 at 9:25 am

This espresso buttercream frosting sounds finger-licking good! Can I swipe a piece? ;)

Yuri May 30, 2011 at 8:51 am

Pamela, so glad I found your blog and what a nice surprise to find one of Ken’s recipes here! I would love to try one of your cocktails some day :) Ken, this cake is GORGEOUS! Happy Monday :)