Chicken and Waffles Ice Cream for Ice Cream Month

chicken and waffles, easy homemade ice cream, chicken ice cream, maple glazed pecans, homemade ice cream, maple caramel sauce

You know how people do something drastic after a big breakup — like cut their hair off, lose 15 pounds, start dressing slutty or start drinking heavily?  Well, think of this crazy easy homemade ice cream one of those kinds of actions.  No, Craig and I didn’t break up.  This chicken and waffles post is the result of breaking up with my suitcase.  You see, I’ve been traveling a lot in the past few months and I’m finally off the road for at least a month.  So I thought it was time to let my hair down a little (cuz everyone knows how uptight I am – HA) for this slightly over the top dessert.

Yes, this is chicken and waffles ice cream and before you go all nose scrunching up on me you really must try it.  Chicken and waffles has been around, as a breakfast (or amazingly delicious hangover staple) since around the 1930′s.  Of course, as with all foods with a history, it’s debatable where it started…down South, in Detroit or Mars.  Regardless of where it started, you can’t argue with a dish that combines sweet and salt with starch and fat…that’s a 4 way that even Hugh Hefner is jealous of.

Chicken-and-Waffles-Ice-Cream

Chickena and Waffles Ice Cream

This easy homemade ice cream recipe actually came about as part of a project with Knorr and BlogHer.  I received a package of Knorr’s latest product which is a homestyle stock in a concentrated form and was to create a recipe utilizing it.  If I am ultimately selected as one of the winners I’ll get to work with Knorr for the coming year.  If I made chicken ice cream with the stock concentrate can you imagine what a fun year this will be?

I wanted to make something that really needed to take advantage of the concentrated format of the product.  As you can imagine, it would be really difficult to make chicken ice cream with regular stock, sure I could make a sorbet….but that’s definitely not the same as ice cream.  Plus, cream and chicken go together so well.

You get the chicken flavor in the ice cream (I’m telling you, it sounds weird but it tastes sooooo good) and the maple syrup comes in the form of a maple caramel sauce that’s ribboned throughout the ice cream.  Of course there’s always the option of pouring a little more over the top.  Now I know that your thinking chicken and waffles should have some good ol’ crunchy fried chicken skin, but this is ice cream.  Hey, never fear, just fry up a nice piece of chicken skin (with a little sprinkle of salt on it) and garnish the top of the dish with it.  Oh, and for you purists…demanding a waffle, it’s all served up in a waffle cone or bowl.  Given that my idea of the perfect maple syrup contains pecans, I made some maple glazed pecans and gilded the waffle bowl with some white chocolate and the maple glazed pecans.  Is there ever such a thing as an over the top dessert?  I didn’t think so!

Opposites attract.  How many times have you heard that?  If you’re like me, I’m sure it’s been a lot.  Craig and I are one of those couples.  He’s an introvert, I’m an extrovert.  He’s of linear thought, I’m of broad range thinking.  He’s laid back, I’m Type A.  He likes things to be the same, I embrace change…you get the idea.  Since we’ll be celebrating our 12th wedding anniversary this week, I think I’m pretty qualified to speak on this.

How do you make it work?  I’m asked all the time.  My answer is how could it not work?  If I were married to someone exactly like myself, one of us would end up buried in the backyard – for sure.  I have lots of friends who are just like myself, and that’s great because we can hang out and talk/laugh about all the same things.  It works well for a friendship but not so much for a marriage.

The thing that allows opposites to work (not just attract, that’s an easy one – he’s hot, she’s hot – bang, attraction) is that they envision the same thing for their future.  I’ve said it before, you can’t kiss a toad and turn him into a prince (meaning, you can’t change someone into the person you want them to be).  While you may be a hard charging corporate attorney and he’s a maintenance guy at the local grade school, these types of relationships can work if you both are looking to the future through the same pair of glasses.

Kristina at FormerChef August 14, 2011 at 2:16 pm

Wow, you weren’t kidding when you said you made chicken and waffles ice cream. I had a hard time envisioning it (would there be chunks o chicken in it?) but here it is and it looks awesome! So very creative!

Jenny @ Savour the Senses July 21, 2011 at 1:38 pm

Oh. My. God. I need this in my life immediately!! What an amazing idea!

Daydreamer Desserts July 11, 2011 at 12:16 pm

Being the ice cream lover that I am, there is no way I’m not giving this baby a try. I’m blown away…

Bunkycooks July 10, 2011 at 1:00 pm

This is way better than Mango Momma stuff! What a brilliant recipe and I bet you could be on your way to using lots more Knorr products in the coming year. What do we call you if you win this one? ;). Good luck!

Suzy July 10, 2011 at 10:43 am

You crazy genius!

Lamb July 9, 2011 at 11:30 am

There is absolutely no way you won’t be 1 of the 8 finalists with a recipe like this! I found this post earlier this week and am back again because I can’t get it off my mind. Brilliant! :)

Pamela July 9, 2011 at 12:02 pm

Muahaha…my plan is working perfectly then. It has always been my intention to create dishes that worm their way into your brain so that you can not resist the temptation to come back and look at it again and again. Then of course either to make it or offer to pay me loads of cash to make it for you. Either way…I’m flexible.

I’m so glad that you are enjoying the chicken and waffles ice cream. It’s much kinder on your thighs when you eat with your eyes than with your mouth…my thighs are living proof. :) That being said…it is amazingly delicious (although I might be a bit biased).

Andrea @ Fork Fingers Chopsticks July 8, 2011 at 9:59 am

Spot on again – the recipe and advice. Happy anniversary. I totatlly agree with the opposites attract theory. It’s the yin/yang we need for balance.

So is this dessert or a main course?

Pamela July 8, 2011 at 10:45 am

Well, that depends…I’m a dessert qualifies as a meal kinda girl, so for me it would be a main course. ;)

theminx July 8, 2011 at 6:33 am

I’m sorry, but chicken ice cream? No thanks! I do love potato chips and vanilla ice cream together, so I’d be more inclined to use plain vanilla garnished with fried chicken skin – or even homemade chicken nuggets. Verrrry interesting idea though.

Pamela July 8, 2011 at 10:47 am

It’s that whole salty sweet thing. Chicken ice cream by itself? Nah, dripping with maple caramel though? yep. Try your vanilla/chicken skin combo and let me know what you think.

Brian @ A Thought For Food July 8, 2011 at 4:08 am

Your relationship advice is spot on. E and I are exactly the same as you two… and while sometimes the differences can be aggravating, they also make us better people, I think.

I’m intrigued by the chicken and waffles ice cream, for sure… though i probably won’t be making this anytime in the near future (my pescatarian heart just can’t do it)

Lubna Salah July 7, 2011 at 5:35 pm

Pam you have done it again! I haven’t even tried real chicken and waffles (yes I know, Roscoe’s is on my list) but I want this.

When are we doing a dinner pow wow? ;)

I really hope you win and get that deal with Knorr. No one deserves it more than you:

innovation + kitchen = yummy = Pam

Sending love

Marla July 7, 2011 at 3:07 pm

I am actually gonna go there with you on this one. Odd yes, but I bet it does taste really good.

Jessica July 7, 2011 at 12:53 pm

Chicken and waffles I tried… an ice cream version I have not! But it is now a must! This looks unbelievably inventive and delicious!! Perfect suitcase breakup food ;)

Julia July 7, 2011 at 11:26 am

This was the comment I THOUGHT I left “Oh. Hell. My thighs just busted though my pants and I don’t even care.”

EATnLISTEN.COM July 7, 2011 at 8:56 am

Nice! Sounds like a perfect marriage of flavors to me!

Priscilla - She's Cookin' July 6, 2011 at 8:23 pm

Brilliant! I can’t imagine a more creative take on chicken stock base than this. Good Luck, Pamela!

Magpie July 6, 2011 at 8:08 pm

This is so over the top and cool sounding. Good luck.

Pamela July 6, 2011 at 8:09 pm

Thank you!

velva July 6, 2011 at 5:50 pm

There is a food truck (one of the very few in my small city) that sells chicken and waffles.I have only heard of them but ow, I am thinking maybe its only ice cream. Geez, I need to really check this out now. What a flavor combination! It sounds really odd but, it obviously works.

As for making a relationship work? It takes work, love and respect.

Cheers.
Velva

Pamela July 6, 2011 at 8:09 pm

Amen on the relationship advice!!!!

Nelly Rodriguez July 6, 2011 at 4:56 pm

Oh…my. GOD. You’re not kidding. This is so inventive, creative, awesome, amazing, such gorgeous pictures. I saw the fried chicken skin, I cursed. Out loud, no joke. I am sending you all the luck in the world for you to win and be Knorr Girl for the year!

Pamela July 6, 2011 at 8:10 pm

Thank you Nelly! I’m telling you…you really need to try this one. It’s just that good.