Gin Cocktail Recipe: The Cucumber Cooler

cucumber cooler, gin cocktail recipes, cocktail recipes

I am finally giving you a week without an infused liquor.  Are you as shocked as I am?  Don’t worry, they’ll be back.  In fact, I just bought 8 pounds of fruit to make another one of my infused alcohol delights – trust me, you’ll like it…a lot.

Today I’m going with a gin cocktail recipe that’s light and easy.  It’s a perfect little party drink for your summer entertaining.  Easy to find ingredients, easy to make and damn delicious.

Last year, I made (wait for it…) and infused gin fizz using Hendrick’s Gin.  Hendrick’s is one of my favorite gins because it’s not too heavy on the Juniper, like most gin is.  Hendrick’s infuses its gin with lots of flavors including cucumber and rose petals (trust me, it’s not a girlie flavored spirit).  Hendrick’s gin cocktail recipes don’t taste like your usual gin cocktails.  But since we’re in the throes of summer and cucumbers are easy to find I thought I’d step up the cucumber flavors a whole lot for this drink.  I think you’ll find that this cucumber cooler (of which lots of people have their own version) is really refreshing on a hot and muggy day.

Hendrick's-Gin-Cocktail-Recipe Hendrick’s Gin Cucumber Cooler

I think gin is kind of like the red headed step child in the libation world at the moment.  I mean, bourbon is HUGE right now in all kinds of concoctions (yes, I am guilty of some self lovin’ bourbon cocktails myself), vodka is being served in any and all flavors except – vodka flavored, wines are always popular and then there’s all of those specialty beers out there.  Gin isn’t as old as mead so why should we shove this historied spirit off to the side?

There are plans for more gin cocktail recipes on my schedule…how about you?

in-laws-venn-diagram

[print_this]

Recipe: Hendrick’s Gin Cucumber Cooler

• 2 Teaspoons Sugar
  • 1 4 Inch Piece of Peeled Persian Cucumber (cut into chunks)
  • 4 Mint Leaves
  • 2 Ounces Hendrick’s Gin
  • 1/4 Ounce St. Germain
  • Heavy Squeeze of Fresh Lemon Juice

Instructions

1. In a cocktail shaker add the sugar, chunks of cucumber and mint leaves.
  2. Using a muddler, or the back of a spoon, mash up the sugar, cucumber and mint leaves until the sugar is completely blended in with the other ingredients.
  3. Add in the gin, St. Germain and lemon juice (add as much or as little lemon as you like).
  4. Then add in some ice cubes, cover the shaker and shake vigorously.
  5. Strain and pour into a glass.
  6. Garnish with a lemon twist and a sprig of fresh mint.

Preparation time:  10 Minutes

Cooking time:  0 Minutes

Number of servings (yield): 1

Culinary tradition: USA (General)

My rating 5 stars:  ★★★★★ 1 review(s)

[/print_this]

Kim July 17, 2011 at 10:52 pm

LMAO at the venn diagram.

The drink is great for this summer heat, too!

[K]

Sara @ Saucy Dipper July 17, 2011 at 6:45 pm

I’ve got to be honest…both gin and bourbon are hard for me to drink. I think it has to do with a couple of crazy nights in college where it all went down too easy only to come…I won’t say it. You catch my drift.

Although, I do love cucumber in all my beverages!

Priscilla - She's Cookin' July 16, 2011 at 4:54 pm

If I mix anything in my cocktails its fresh fruit (no syrups) – so why not a cucumber. Perfect for hot, muggy southern days!

Susan in the Boonies July 16, 2011 at 7:30 am

It’s piney. I like it!

SinoSoul July 15, 2011 at 3:31 pm

o c’mon! I love the in-laws. In fact, I prefer them to my own. Though, the FIL’s seems a wee bit TOO loving… you know… kinda makes you wonder… Like.. You betcha arse Lindsay Lohan was molested when she was young… Kinda like that.

Pamela July 15, 2011 at 6:52 pm

Okay…so I was wrong to lump the entire group of in laws into that little section…but it would be wrong for me to call out specific people. You know, I’m subtle like that. 😉

Russell at Chasing Delicious July 15, 2011 at 12:55 pm

Another scrumptious drink recipe! I’ve never been a huge fan of gin but I’ve had a few types and drinks where I actually enjoy it. I have a feeling I would very much like this recipe.

Pamela July 15, 2011 at 6:53 pm

Thanks Russell. If you haven’t tried Hendrick’s you really should. It’s definitely NOT your typical gin.

foodwanderings July 15, 2011 at 9:24 am

Hey Pammy, Beautiful photography and what an elegant cocktail. Love the drink though I am such a virgin when it comes to booze, my first jello shots were when I was in my 30s lol. I was thinking about you when I was shooting lychee how they will go perfectly with one of your drinks:).

Pamela July 15, 2011 at 6:55 pm

Thanks. I’ve got a lychee martini that I need to get up on here soon. I think you’d like this drink. There is a lot of alcohol in it, but it doesn’t taste boozy. Of course, that can lead to a whole bunch of other things. LOL

Jessica July 15, 2011 at 9:18 am

I am, and have always been, a Gin girl, and proud of it. With all the “mixers” out there, so many summer drinks end up feeling like drinking syrup, this looks refreshing and light! I can’t wait to try it! 🙂

Pamela July 15, 2011 at 6:56 pm

I couldn’t agree with you more Jessica. If I wanted to drink chilled syrup…I’d go buy a bottle of those coffee flavoring syrups and have at it. ICK! This one is really refreshing. Kind of like that spa water….with a kick. 😉