Super Bowl Snacks: Crispy Fried Chicken Skin

fried chicken skin, crispy chicken skin, chicken skin recipe

Tick tock, tick tock…that’s the clock ticking down to Sunday’s big game party.  Are you ready?  Have you been clearing room in your refrigerator for the dips?  Have you loaded up your cart with large quantities of dipping implements (corn chips, potato chips and tortilla chips are standard)?  Have you been stretching your stomach so that you can eat the enormous amounts of 7 layer dip, hamburgers, hot dogs, ribs, wings and nuts?  More importantly, have you been prepping your liver?

<ducking as I say this> Bacon is soooooo last year.  Seriously, when you find an ingredient shoved into every food out there, I think it’s time to declare that it has jumped the shark.  Do we really want bacon in our cupcakes and booze?  Really?  I’m here to declare fried chicken skin as the successor to bacon.  C’mon, just admit it.  You might be all hoity toity about eating boneless skinless chicken breasts, but you know (deep down inside) all you really want to do is peel the skin off a freshly roasted chicken and devour it.  The skin is what has all the flavor in a chicken.

Fried chicken skin has been slowly creeping onto restaurant menus for a little over a year now.  Crispy chicken skin is adorning the tops of salads (world’s better than croutons), it’s being made into tacos and a chef in NY is wrapping it around gravy and deep frying it into a chicken skin gravy ball.  There’s even a restaurant, here in LA, that has stopped making his blt with bacon and replaced it with crispy chicken skin.  I made my first crispy chicken skin last year as a part of my chicken and waffles ice cream.  If you haven’t made this yet…get on it.  It’s really good.

fried-chicken-skin

The concept of popping pieces of fried chicken skin into your mouth really shouldn’t sound so weird, considering we’ve been throwing back fried pork skin forever.

There is, and there isn’t, a chicken skin recipe.  You can fry the stuff in oil, in its own fat or oven fry it.  I prefer to make my fried chicken skin like I make my bacon – I fry it in the oven (I also think this makes less mess).

fried-chicken-skin

I’ll actually post a chicken skin recipe, below, so that you can make these up for your next tailgating or white trash party.  Just like potato chips, you can flavor your fried chicken skin with just about any seasonings.  I flavored half of mine with sea salt (my favorite) and the other half with a barbecue dry rub.  You could get fancy by using some herbs de Provence or garlic powder/salt.  Pretty much any dry seasoning can be used on the skins to flavor them.

In a bit of surprising research, it appears that we women like to see our men in pain.  Huh? Who knew that the guys have been right all this time (don’t they regularly accuse us of liking to see them suffer)?

Well, that’s not quite the case.

According to researchers, when a woman offers a man physical comfort in his time of need (no, not that need), the reward center in her brain lights up.

Using couples in good relationships, they hooked the guy up to a machine that would shock him and the woman was hooked up to an MRI. While the guy was being shocked, the woman was physically touching him.  Not only did her brain register her rewarding feeling, the women also said they felt closer to their significant other.

There was also a group of women that were not touching their men while they were shocked.  No surprise, these same regions of their brain showed no activity.  They didn’t report if the women felt bad about watching their guy go through the pain of electrical shock, nor did they report if the women felt happy about it.  They just didn’t show any rewarding feeling.

They also hooked up a group of women and men, didn’t shock the men but the women were still physically touching them.  Again, their reward center didn’t register anything and they did not report that they felt any closer to their guy.

What’s to be learned from this study?  If your guy is in a bad mood, had a rough day or isn’t feeling well, both of you would benefit from a little touch.  Rub his back, give him a little massage or a nice big hug.  Who knows, that might lead to something a little more exciting (no electrical shocking required).

katrina January 30, 2014 at 9:25 pm

Any idea if these will keep in the fridge for a few days? Assuming there are any left! Just trying to figure out how to use them the next day in soups or BLTs without them being soggy.

Pamela January 31, 2014 at 9:46 am

Hi Katrina, they will keep in the fridge. Just put them in a zip top bag and remove as much air as possible before sealing it up. Good luck with the idea of leftovers on these…they disappear as soon people find them. :)

pam December 3, 2013 at 7:58 am

This is a perfect recipe. I make a lot of semi-smoked turkey breasts on the grill. Since I don’t like smoked skin, I remove it first and save the skin flat in the freezer. This year I got a fresh turkey from the grocery store after Thanksgiving and asked the butcher to cut it up for me. I grilled the first breast and cooked the skin as you directed. Although I only managed a tiny taste since my son and husband were there first, it was amazing! Even though I used rim sheets, however, some of the fat managed to drip over into my newly cleaned oven! Worth it though.

Pamela December 3, 2013 at 9:45 am

Hi Pam,

I’m so glad to hear you liked this recipe! Sorry that the boys got most of it and your clean oven got messed up again. Good thing there’s always lots of skin around for crisping up. Try it in a sandwich in place of bacon, you’ll forget all about the pork stuff. ;)

Elise November 2, 2013 at 5:22 pm

Abso-LUTELY! Thank you so much for the recipe! I baked mine in the oven, same as I my bacon, too!! Perfect!

Pamela November 2, 2013 at 5:36 pm

So glad you liked them Elise! :)

Lily Julow October 10, 2013 at 3:22 pm

I’m looking for raw chicken skin like you recipe calls for. Where did you find them? I just moved to the Atlanta area with all its great shopping, but haven’t found a source for these. Woul
d the Buford Farmer’s Market have this? Thanks, Lily

Pamela October 10, 2013 at 7:45 pm

Hi Lily, I got the chicken skin from all of the chicken breasts I was slicing up to make the treats for our dog. I haven’t found anyone that sells just the chicken skins, outside of a butcher (which there are very few of here in LA). You can use the thigh or breast skin to make these. Just buy some of those family packs of chicken you find at the grocery. It comes off really easily. If you then take the time to bone it, you can freeze boneless/skinless chicken breasts (or thighs) for a lot cheaper than you can buy them.

Charmaine March 5, 2012 at 11:01 pm

Can I just say that I love you? And as soon as I make these, so will my fam.

Pamela March 6, 2012 at 8:53 am

Awwww…thanks Charmaine. Be careful…these things are addicting and you can’t just eat one.

myfudo February 3, 2012 at 2:36 am

This is what you call game food…Powerful! Impressive! This can steal the limelight from the game itself. This recipe is a winner. Thanks for sharing! Have a great weekend party!

Val February 2, 2012 at 7:13 pm

Chicken skin is seriously the best stuff ever. The problem is that there’s only a little skin per piece of meat. Have you found it sold in grocery stores just by itself?

Pamela February 3, 2012 at 11:39 am

Hi Val,

You could get it in bulk if you call up a local butcher. They should have quite a bit from all the skinless stuff people usually want. I had a lot of it because I made some of those dehydrated chicken treats for my dog. So the skin was used for this recipe and I used the bones to make a bunch of stock.

Jennifer February 2, 2012 at 10:24 am

I love chicken (or turkey) skin. I always peel it off and eat it before I devour the chicken itself. Can’t believe I’ve never heard of this before and I CANNOT wait to try it… maybe this weekend. YUM! (And hey, don’t bad mouth bacon cupcakes, I just made some. ;-D) Go Patriots!

Will @ Cheap and Easy Food Blog February 2, 2012 at 10:17 am

These look deliciously dangerous!

2peasandapot February 2, 2012 at 6:21 am

Great idea. Something new. Sick of the last 500 nacho recipes all over the place. Good job! Go Giants, by the way. (Just because my Jets will never make it.)

Pamela February 3, 2012 at 11:40 am

These would probably make some seriously delicious nachos. ;)

Belinda @zomppa February 1, 2012 at 4:06 pm

Positively evil (and awesome) snacks! GO PATS!