Meatless Dinner Recipes: Easy Vegetable Lasagna

easy vegetable lasagna, ratatouille recipe, vegetarian lasagna, meatless dinner recipe

I have been dreading this day for over a week now, but it’s time to face the music and do this post.  I like to think that I am doing this for the greater good of all people, and not for selfish reasons.  I’m doing this so that everyone out there can make an informed decision.  So that when everything around you starts to spin, you find yourself gasping for air and your kitchen resembles a scene out of your favorite crime show you will realize (and better understand) where you went wrong.  Yes, this post is more of a public service announcement than about an easy vegetable lasagna.

It started simply enough, a request for a low carb and easy vegetarian lasagna.  I instantly knew what I was going to do.  No pasta, some fresh ricotta, a homemade tomato sauce and a play on a ratatouille recipe.  So I gathered all of my ingredients and started on my way.

I made up the Epicurious ricotta cheese recipe and had that chilling.  By the way…once you make this recipe, you will NEVER buy ricotta cheese ever again.  This tastes so much better (oh, and it’s easy to do).  I cranked up the oven and I put the pot on the stove and had the  tomato sauce cooking away.  I was ready to start on the vegetables.

I washed up my eggplant, zucchini and tomatoes (you know, all the traditional veggies for a ratatouille recipe) laid out my cutting board and got the mandoline ready for a slicing frenzy.  Ordinarily, I would just slice all the veggies with a knife and be done with it, but I was making a double batch of this lasagna and the vegetables were going to be sliced lengthwise.  I wanted to make really thin slices of the vegetables and arrange them so that they looked like a large flower.  Yes, every once in a while I get a little too creative for my own good.

Ratatouille-Recipe

The zucchini were first up, so I grabbed one and started in on it.  The first slice was difficult to make using the guard, because I was trying to cut them the long way, so I tossed the guard aside (DUMB idea).  Slice, slice, slice, sli…..and then it was all thumb.  I was watching the entire event unfold and I still did it.  Worse yet, my brain (although believed to be connected to my arm and hand) could not comprehend why the zucchini was seemingly stuck.  Everything looked right.  Oh, maybe it’s because my thumb was stuck in the blade and blocking the vegetable from continuing on its smooth path.  Then all of a sudden it registered – MY.THUMB.IS.STUCK.IN.THE.BLADE.OF.THE.MANDOLINE!!!!!!

In shock, I managed to pull my thumb out of the blade and proceed to bleed all over myself (hey, I may be injured….but I’m not gonna bleed all over my kitchen and have to clean that up).  Over to the sink to run some water on my injury and to further inspect the damage.  A call to urgent care to check their hours and then a call to Craig to see if maybe he was on his way home.  The first thing out of his mouth was “so what, did you cut your finger off?” (oh he knows me so well).  “Not exactly off, but I’m bleeding like one of Jason’s victims.”  A call to my neighbor to take me to urgent care and I was off.

Of course I was seen by Dr. Hotty McSexy and I looked like hell, which made me feel oh so much better about myself.  Yes, I was in shock, bleeding all over the place and having self-esteem issues.  If I had a therapist, we’d probably have lots of billable hours regarding this.  He took a look at it and gave me the choice of glue or stitches.  I chose glue (which, for the record is just super glue in a cool package), got a compression wrap, some pain killers and was sent on my merry way.

About a week later, I actually made the “easy” vegetable lasagna (yes, it’s easy if you aren’t process interruptus with a hanging appendage) for the person who had requested it and a dish for us.  I can’t say that I didn’t endure a little PTSD while I was using the mandoline (this time using the guard regardless of how awkward it was).

Now that it’s been a week and a half since the ‘slicing’ things have really started healing (to the point where it’s actually noticeable).  I’m pretty sure I’m not going to have much feeling in that part of my thumb, which if I were a guy would mean I could do all kinds of stupid things to it and freak people out.  Craig has been a big help through all of this, although his “I told ya so” is getting kind of old at this point.  But I probably deserve to hear that.

As far as meatless dinner recipes go, this one is a definite winner, and I’ll be making it again and again.  Although I’ll be buying a kevlar glove to use with the mandoline from now on.

While my husband is wonderful (most of the time) I thought I would stay in the PSA mode and help you a little bit more by passing along some of the things that I have learned.  Why should this good info go to waste?

10 Signs That You Are Dating A Douche

• He not so casually announces to you how much the bill for dinner is and that he’s picking up the tab.
  • Fitting you in to his ‘busy’ schedule feels like trying to shoehorn your feet into those Louboutins that were a half size too small but on sale for an amazing price.
  • When a group of you go out for drinks, he’s the one buying shots for everyone and telling them they have to drink it and if they don’t, he starts making up stupid names for them.
  • When you call and leave him a voice mail, his response always comes in the form of a text message.
  • He hits the tanning salon (spray or bed…doesn’t matter).
  • He compares his abs to those of ‘The Situation.’
  • As soon as he’s satisfied, in bed, he rolls over and goes to sleep.
  • Because he’s a triathlete, you will train like he does and with him.  Even if this means he will pull you (on your bike) up the hill while he pedals his own bike.  (slightly impressive, but still really douchey)
  • Wears anything by Affliction or Ed Hardy.
  • In every picture he’s in, he has that pseudo tough guy constipated look on his face.

D_klutz March 20, 2014 at 7:58 am

Thank much much Pamela for responding!

For the Ricotta, I used Tofutti Milk Free Better Than Ricotta Cheese (From David Mintz’s Private Recipe Collection).

Thank you for all the rest! much appreciated:)

D_klutz March 19, 2014 at 4:26 pm

Hi!

Thank you so much for the recipe! I tried it out…but it did not seem to come out as pretty as yours. I wonder if the roma tomatoes added too much juice to?

I too, made the tomato sauce…and the taste was out of this world! I wished I could have it with rice. I added orange and yellow bell peppers and mushrooms to the recipe. I used the entire 2 cups of ricotta cheese; it seemed too much though! And since I am not a big cheese person, I think next time I will use half. plus, it mixed up with the roma tomatoes and produced a think puree..Anyway, I do not know what I did wrong, but the taste was still yummy.

Question, what is the calorie count? and the nutritional facts of this recipe? Please share if you have it.

Pamela March 20, 2014 at 7:44 am

Hi Doreen,

I’m happy to hear that you liked the lasagna and didn’t see any reports of injury from making it. ;) You could make a bunch of the tomato sauce and freeze it in small containers, or zip top bags, and thaw it out for future use (I do this a lot).

First off…you didn’t do anything wrong. Ingredients, especially fresh ones, can all be a bit different. Tomatoes can all have different levels of juice in them. The roma’s tend to be meatier and less juicy, which is why I use them, but you may have a type in SA that meatier. I’m guessing that if you used store bought ricotta in this, that the cheese is your culprit for the excess liquid. Next time you make this, line a strainer with a double layer of cheesecloth and drain it for an hour before you use it. This will eliminate most of the excess liquid. In fact, I am adding a note to this recipe based on your experience.

the calorie count on this recipe is roughly 350 cal/serving (but that excludes the olive oil and Parmesan cheese from the Lasagna part of the recipe). Total fat/serving is 18g. Total carb/serving is 32.55g. Total protein/serving is 19.75g/serving.

MountainBrew June 16, 2013 at 10:02 am

This is great! I just fixed it for yesterdays lunch. I’ve had a run in with my mandoline too also great at grating my finger tips on my box grater. Even though I’m a man I completely agree on your relationship advice. It can go the “other” way also.

Pamela June 16, 2013 at 10:24 am

Hi MountainBrew,

I’m so glad you liked the vegetable lasagna! :) Ouch, I haven’t done the box grater thing in a while but I have given myself quite the manicure on my zester (what’s a little extra keratin protein in a salad between friends – right?) You are soooo right…that advice does go both ways.

Dorothy at ShockinglyDelicious July 30, 2012 at 2:23 pm

That lasagna looks magnificent. Is that EXTRA red sauce in there? jk.

Pamela July 30, 2012 at 8:56 pm

Thanks Dorothy. Just lots of tomatoes and fresh ricotta. :)

Toni April 12, 2012 at 12:52 pm

You forgot to add admires himself flexing his muscles in every mirror and reflective surface…
Making the lasagna this weekend, YUM.

Pamela April 12, 2012 at 2:52 pm

Hi Toni,

Yeah….there’s that too. ;)

Enjoy the lasagna and watch out for your fingers.

Julia April 12, 2012 at 12:21 pm

I sliced my finger open/off on the dang mandolin ON my birthday last year, slicing apples for a cocktail. After I managed the gushing blood, I drank. Then someone reminded me alcohol thins your blood. Awesome. So I bled a little extra.
Um, but, your lasagna turned out really good looking!!! I hope your finger is healed now!

Nancy@acommunaltable February 27, 2012 at 2:30 pm

Ugh… I HATE cutting my fingers – give me a good ole’ burn anyday! Don’t think my PA was as good looking as your dr. and he didn’t offer me glue – my only choice was stitches, a splint AND NO PAINKILLERS!!! Clearly, I went to the wrong ER – but they had free wi fi and free valet parking and virtually no wait so it wasn’t all bad!
Given what’s in that lasagna, your sacrifice was worth it – and you are SO right about the ricotta!!

Pamela February 27, 2012 at 5:43 pm

I agree with you burns over cuts. I had to ask for the pain killers ;) . I needed to have some kind of positive thing come out of the experience. LOL-leave it to the OC to have valet parking at an ER.

Alessio February 27, 2012 at 2:04 pm

Oh dear… The whole slicing-off trailer :S Went through that lane a few times and once was with a vase and my ankle… By the way, this episode might b fit for one of your’s “Relationship Advices” lol
No hottie doc but a cute physiotherapist with cat’s eyes (literally….).

On a side note, at least the dish they requested was low carbs and no vegetarian ;p

Pamela February 27, 2012 at 5:45 pm

Hmmmm…we may need to chat about that experience. I’m always looking for stuff for the Advice section.

Living The Sweet Life February 27, 2012 at 1:57 pm

Oh my goodness, I’m so sorry to hear about your thumb. I’m seriously far too freaked out to ever buy a mandoline. With how much of a clutz I am, and with how frequently I ALREADY cut myself, I think I’m doing myself a favour.

Also, your relationship advice – – HILARIOUS!!

And the lasanga – – sooo pretty!!

Pamela February 27, 2012 at 5:46 pm

I probably should have thought more like you and NOT gotten a mandoline. But no, I have to feel like I’m better than a stinking razor sharp blade (I’m clearly not). Lesson learned, use the hand guard. :) I’m glad you like the advice. You should definitely try the lasagna…it tastes as good as it looks.

Belinda @zomppa February 27, 2012 at 10:58 am

That is GORGEOUS! Like the movie!

Pamela February 27, 2012 at 5:47 pm

No mouse, just a little thumb. I wonder if they’d make a movie about that. Even an OSHA work place flick.