A Blueberry Ice Cream – Blueberry Crisp Mash Up

vegan ice cream, ice cream recipes, blueberry ice cream, blueberry crisp, dessert recipe

The fresh fruits are coming in fast and furious now, so tis the season of crumbles, cobblers, grunts, crisps and slumps. And what makes these juicy, sloppy baked treats taste even better? Duh, ice cream. But what about a mash up of crisp and ice cream? Sure, you could soften up some vanilla ice cream and mush in some crisp, but why not just make a crisp ice cream? This recipe takes blueberry ice cream to all new heights.

By now you know how much I like to make ice cream and sometimes some interesting ice cream recipes. But this blueberry crisp ice cream is one of the best one’s I’ve made in a while. I, of course, say this with all modesty and sincerity. ;) This ice cream really does make you feel like you’re eating a big piece of juicy blueberry crisp minus the chasing the ice cream around the plate part.

Sure, you could make blueberry ice cream with all of the fresh blueberries around right now, but sometimes an all fruit ice cream can be a bit overwhelming on the taste buds. They crave a little variety. And there are plenty of ice cream recipes out there that combine different flavors and textures into a single bite of ice cream to give you that variety. This blueberry crisp ice cream is one of those recipes. You’ve got the creamy ice cream, pockets of the smooth and luscious blueberry fruit, and crunchy crispy bits throughout.

Blueberry Cobbler Ice Cream Recipe

Oh, did I mention that this is another one of my infamous (at least in my own mind) vegan ice cream recipes? Cuz it is. I hope that you don’t read that and immediately click away to find some other food pr0n to satiate the dirty minds of your taste buds. This blueberry ice cream (sorry, blueberry crisp ice cream) really is as good as it looks and sounds. Craig dove head first into the container of it and never looked back. When I told him it was vegan ice cream, he didn’t believe me until I showed him the coconut and almond milk cartons I used to make it. Okay, I didn’t make it with the cartons…but that’s what was left after I used their contents for the ice cream (maybe I’ve had too much coffee today).

I promise you, that my vegan ice cream recipes are as rich and creamy as their dairy laden counterparts. The secret to making them creamy is using coconut milk. The real deal, full fat coconut milk. You know, the stuff that has the layer of coconut fat at the top when you open the can or carton? Yeah, that stuff. You don’t use the coconut stuff that you use when making pi├▒a colada’s. And if you use the coconut milk that is available now as a dairy milk substitute you won’t get the creaminess because it’s missing the fat which gives ice cream that smooth and creamy texture. You’ll get something a bit icier.

Oh, and for those of you that keep asking me why I make so many vegan ice cream recipes…here’s your answer. Dairy and my body have a love hate relationship. Some dairy items aren’t a problem, but some are. So lest you think I’m pandering to a demographic to get eyeballs on my site, I’m not, this is the stuff I really eat.

When things go unsaid, it’s usually for someone’s best interest. What that “best interest” is, is what matters.

When things go unsaid, it's usually for someone's best interest.

Celeste May 19, 2014 at 10:41 am

Do you have any substitutions for the coconut milk/sugar/oil?

Pamela May 19, 2014 at 6:07 pm

Hi Celeste, you could use full fat regular milk (it’ll then be vegetarian, but not vegan). If it’s the fat you’re afraid of, you could use all almond milk, but it so ‘t have the creaminess of traditional ice cream. As for the sugar, you need the sweetness for this recipe. You could use agave nectar or date syrup, but you’d need to use less. I haven’t done that in this recipe, but i’d start with 1/2 the amount listed and add more if needed. And there isn’t any oil in this recipe.

I hope you enjoy the ice cream.

Lori April 13, 2014 at 9:27 am

Hi, can you suggest substitutes for the liquors in the recipe? Thanks; have a wonderful day…..Lori

Pamela April 13, 2014 at 12:32 pm

Hi Lori,

You can leave the alcohol out of both of the recipes. While the rum will give the ice cream a bit of flavor,it…and the vodka in the blueberry swirl, are in there to help keep the ice cream from getting really hard in the freezer. Just before serving, let the ice cream sit on the counter for 5-10 minutes (depending on how hot it is that day) and let it soften a bit. This will make scooping it much easier. ENJOY!!!

Tricia November 6, 2013 at 3:53 pm

Whoa whoa whoa!! Dark Rum… Vodka!! I have just died and gone to blog heaven!

Lindsay June 18, 2013 at 4:09 pm

This ice cream looks amazing and I can’t wait to try it. I wanted to make it in advance…do you have any advice on how long it will keep in the freezer?
Thanks!

Pamela June 18, 2013 at 8:01 pm

Thanks Lindsay,

It should be good for 2 weeks in the freezer. ENJOY!

Anita June 12, 2013 at 9:09 am

Is the coconut milk the creamy kind in a can, or in a box with the rice, soy or almond milk?

This looks really good!

Thanks,
Anita

Pamela June 12, 2013 at 9:18 am

Hi Anita,

It’s the creamy canned coconut milk. It is really good. ;) ENJOY!!!

Fran July 29, 2012 at 10:31 am

I’m opposed to using any sugars. I do use stevia and when needed will add a little agave and on rare occasions, some real maple syrup, but that’s about it. I hate anything processed. When I can I use raw stevia (actual ground up leaf). Have you tried making the recipe without the sugars? How did it come out?

Thanks.

Pamela July 29, 2012 at 1:19 pm

Hi Fran,

I haven not made this recipe without sugar and I don’t use stevia (I’m not a fan of the flavor). You could play around with the recipe to see what works best for you. Maple syrup and agave nectar would work just fine in this recipe, just make sure you follow the proper ratio’s when doing the swapping. Enjoy!

SCM (SocialCafe Magazine) July 15, 2012 at 11:56 am

Just wanted to let you know that we have featured this recipe in our Around the Web ice cream post. Hope you don’t mind :) we left the link in the website section if you want to check it out! Great recipe BTW :)

It's Carmen July 6, 2012 at 5:05 pm

Scrum-diddly-umptious. I can’t wait to test this out. Blueberries are magnificent!

Pamela July 7, 2012 at 6:03 am

Carmen, this is a great way to indulge in blueberries. Especially with as hot as it’s been. Who wants to turn on an oven in this heat for traditional blueberry crisp.

Farren July 6, 2012 at 10:21 am

Can the almond milk be substituted for something else? Like soy or coconut milk??

Pamela July 9, 2012 at 6:27 pm

Hi Farren,

Yes, you could use soy or coconut milk in the recipe instead of almond milk, or even rice milk. I were you, I’d use one of the milks that is not coconut, just so it’s not so coconutty tasting. enjoy!

Riley June 28, 2012 at 10:08 am

This sounds and looks delicious! The pictures are great too!

Pamela June 28, 2012 at 3:15 pm

Thanks Riley, It’s as delicious as it looks.

Valerie June 28, 2012 at 8:06 am

This sounds delicious and your pictures are drool-worthy. We’re not vegan at our house – can I use regular milk in place of the coconut milk? And is the rum required? We don’t keep a lot of booze around and I’d hate to buy a bottle just for this. But it sure sounds good! Thanks for sharing. :)

Pamela June 28, 2012 at 8:15 am

Hi Valerie,

Thanks for the picture compliments (I struggle with the photography). You could use a regular ice cream base (of whole milk/cream/eggs) in place of the coconut and almond milk. If you just swap out the coconut milk with whole milk you won’t get quite the same result. You can use this basic ice cream recipe instead of the coconut/almond milk combo (just leave out the olive oil) http://mymansbelly.com/2011/07/20/what-to-do-with-all-this-basil-2-basil-olive-oil-ice-cream/ And it’s not a problem to leave out the alcohol in this recipe. Just remember, it will freeze super hard so you’ll need to let it sit out a bit longer before scooping it out (the alcohol adds a bit of flavor but helps to keep the ice cream from freezing glacially hard).

Belinda @zomppa June 27, 2012 at 8:44 pm

I am so wanting this gorgeous ice cream, especially in this heat!

Julia June 27, 2012 at 3:47 pm

YUM! Vegan means no dairy which means my stomach won’t revolt against me. Which makes the world a better place, for everyone. TMI? Probably.

Pamela June 27, 2012 at 7:39 pm

You are not alone Julia. That’s why so many of my ice cream recipes are vegan. The dog and Craig are very grateful for that. ;)