Healthy Snacks – Spicy Jicama Fries

healthy snacks, jicama recipes, healthy dinner ideas, relationship advice

After waking up from the afternoon lunch coma, do you find yourself heading to the vending machine (or refrigerator) in an attempt to squash the munchies? I know I do and I’m a huge fan of crunchy foods. Since I am like a 5 year old around a bag of chips (of ANY kind) and have absolutely zero self control, I can’t have them in my house. One of my favorite mid-afternoon snacks is the lowly jicama. This crunchy veggie is the ideal flavor delivery system and makes eating healthy snacks easy (or at least easy-er).

If you’re a fan of Mexican food, you’re probably familiar with jicama (pronounced hick-a-ma). But maybe you’ve never had it before. I’m sure you’ve seen it, since it’s in pretty much every market I’ve ever been in. It kind of looks like a big brown turnip. That rough brown covering gets removed to reveal an almost white interior that has a slightly sweet flavor and is super crunchy.

Most jicama recipes involve shredding or dicing the vegetable and tossing it into some kind of salad. But I like to eat it like potato chips or pretzels and sprinkle it with flavorful seasonings or dip it into hummus or this tangy artichoke dip recipe to make healthy snacks.

Spicy Jicama Fries Recipe

These spicy jicama fries do double duty as healthy snacks and for healthy dinner ideas (or side dishes). If you’re trying to limit your consumption of french fries, these jicama fries might be just what you’re looking for. I won’t say that these are exactly like your beloved potato french fries, because they definitely are not. But I think they get you pretty close to your fried nirvana without all the fat and calories while serving up a healthier carb.

This is actually two jicama recipes – one is cooked and one is raw and pretty much the only difference in cooking vs. not cooking (ummm…yeah…duh…sometimes the wordsmith in me just takes a vacation). It just depends what you’re looking for when you’re ready to eat these crunchy treats.

healthy dinner ideas - spicy jicama fries

These jicama fries are perfect for people who can’t agree on much too. Craig prefers these healthy snacks cooked, while I like them better raw. Of course, he grabs some of mine while he’s waiting for his to bake, but they’re so easy to make I don’t get mad when he sneaks one or two. It gets a bit sketchier when he starts snagging his third or fourth one though. 😉

So get yourself back on the healthy eating track with some delicious jicama recipes. These jicama fries are a great way to satisfy your munchies and still be able to fit into your skinny jeans. Oh, and if you don’t like spicy mix up your own seasoning blend to flavor them the way you like (salt and pepper, ranch flavor, Italian seasonings the only limit is your imagination).

What’s your favorite flavor?

Healthy Snacks - Spicy Jicama Fries

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

These spicy jicama fries are great healthy snacks with lots of crunch and flavor.
Author:
Recipe type: Snack
Cuisine: Mexican
Serves: 2
  • 1 Medium Sized Jicama (at least 1 pound)
  • ½ Tablespoon Olive Oil*
  • ¼ Teaspoon Kosher Salt
  • ¼ Teaspoon Onion Powder
  • ¼ Teaspoon Chipotle Powder
  • ¼ Lime
Instructions
  1. Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees Farenheit.
  2. Peel and slice jicama into ½" thick sticks (french fry style).
  3. Pour the oil, salt, onion powder and chipotle powder into a medium sized bowl and stir to combine.
  4. Add the jicama sticks to the bowl and toss to coat.
  5. Lay the jicama sticks on to a parchment paper/Silpat lined baking sheet (leave space between the pieces)
  6. Bake for 25 - 30 minutes, tossing half way through baking time.
  7. Remove from oven and squeeze lime over the fries.
  8. Serve hot.
Notes
*You could also use spray olive oil if you want to use less oil. If you want to keep these raw, squirt the lime over the jicama and toss in the spices. Serve.

RobbDeuce July 14, 2014 at 1:51 pm

THIS WAS DAM GOOD! Thanks for sharing 🙂

Pamela July 16, 2014 at 4:24 am

Thanks Robb! So glad you liked them. 🙂

Leslie May 8, 2014 at 4:41 pm

Thanks Pamela! They were still really good, especially with my homemade ketchup. I’m diabetic and eat a low carb Paleoish diet so I’m constantly looking for low carb goodies. Next time I’m going to try the mandolin style. 🙂

Pamela May 8, 2014 at 7:28 pm

I’m glad you liked them Leslie. 🙂 I’ve got an announcement coming up shortly that might make you happy too. It addresses both the Paleo and Diabetic issues. Be careful with the mandolin (she says speaking from experience).

Leslie May 8, 2014 at 3:35 pm

So, there not suppose to get soft like a French fry potato? I cooked mine for almost an hour today and they were still crunchy, but a little brown and crispy on the outside.

Pamela May 8, 2014 at 3:45 pm

Hi Leslie, They’ll soften a bit (and be somewhat crispy on the outside) but not get as soft and creamy as baked potato fries do. If they were really crunchy on the inside, they may have been cut thicker than mine were cut. (especially if they weren’t warm inside) Jicama doesn’t have the starch level that a potato does, so it won’t get that creamy soft inside like a potato. 🙁 But…if you’re doing one of those eating plans that doesn’t allow you to eat potatoes…this is a saving grace.

If you slice them really thin, like on a mandoline, add a bit of oil to them and bake them in the oven you get a crispy chip-like treat out of them.

Jessica February 23, 2014 at 2:03 pm

I bought jicama for just this reason tonight! I cannot have potatoes because they give me migraines so I am excited to try these out and have “fries!”

Pamela February 23, 2014 at 8:02 pm

Hi Jessica! Looking forward to hearing what you think of them. I’m a migraine sufferer too. I feel for you.

Keyana October 21, 2013 at 6:49 pm

I had to bring some snacks to my collage class and EVERYONE in clouding me has seconds!!!! Thank you SO much!!!!

Pamela October 22, 2013 at 6:45 am

Hi Keyana,

I’m so happy to hear that the jicama fries were a hit for you. 🙂 Thanks for sharing.

jessy August 29, 2013 at 8:04 pm

dude i made an ABOMINATION. IT WAS LIKE burned apples. I clearly made some sort of error

Pamela September 3, 2013 at 3:59 am

Hi Jessy,

It might just be that the oven temperature was too high. 🙂

Darlene July 30, 2013 at 9:50 am

Hi – I tried your recipe last week and they were amazing! Thanks so much for sharing this recipe! Looooooooved them!

Pamela July 30, 2013 at 12:11 pm

Hi Darlene,

I’m so glad you liked them. Thanks for commenting and letting us know. 🙂

dixya@food, pleasure, and health April 11, 2013 at 2:11 pm

i have only had jicama raw but would love to try this out baked. thanks 🙂

Pamela April 12, 2013 at 9:22 am

Hi Dixya, it’s definitely different when it’s baked vs. raw. Like I said in the post, I prefer it raw but the husband really likes it baked. The great part is, you can change up the seasonings a lot. Jicama is such a blank canvas. Enjoy!!!

Maureen | Orgasmic Chef April 6, 2013 at 10:08 am

I don’t think I’ve seen jicama here. I’ll have a look around because I quite like it. I’ve never enjoyed it as a faux fry before though. Only in salads. Beauteous photo!

Belinda @zomppa April 2, 2013 at 7:48 pm

Never thought to use jicama this way before!

Pamela April 2, 2013 at 7:55 pm

Belinda, it’s a little weird at first (warm/hot jicama) but it’s pretty good. They remind me of undercooked french fries, but since they’re not all starchy (like potatoes) it works. They’re slightly soft on the outside, with a good bit of crunch on the inside.

Marlena C-B April 2, 2013 at 10:49 am

Oooh! I can’t wait to try these. Just like you, I crave salty, spicy snacks!

Pamela April 2, 2013 at 7:53 pm

It’s nice to see someone else on my salty train. I can live without the sweets, but not those crunchy salty treats. Try them both ways Marlena, let me know which way you like them.