Sweet Easy Rainbow Meringue Cookies AKA Unicorn Farts

meringue cookies, easy desserts, kids party food, relationship advice

It’s a widely accepted fact that unicorns fart rainbows and glitter. I fully realize that this is a pretty bold statement to make, but it’s backed up by loads of writings on the internet, so it must be true. These little rainbow colored meringue cookies are dusted with just a hint of luster dust to give them that authentic unicorn fart shimmer and these sweet treats make for easy desserts or the perfect kids party food.

Living in LA, the spotting of unicorns is pretty much limited to the number of raves one attends or the number of times you watch the Miley Cyrus twerking video on YouTube (she’s wearing a unicorn onesy). But being that this is also the land of make believe I thought I’d make a little Hollywood magic right in my own kitchen. I swear this little creation of mine had nothing to do with brown acid, nitrous oxide or any other hallucinogenic. Scarily enough…it’s just how my natural brain works

Rainbow Meringue Cookies Make Perfect Kids Party Food

How/Why did I end up making these meringue cookies? Well, I have a little addiction to those crunchy meringues. When we go to Paris, I stroll right by the shop windows filled with those pretty little macarons and walk right into the rustic boulangeries that have plates stacked high with meringue cookies that are the size of footballs.

The how is even more straightforward. Remember that Sweet Southern Belle ice cream recipe I posted a couple of weeks ago? That recipe called for 6 egg yolks, so I had a container of the accompanying egg whites to be used up. Since an egg white omelet was too boring to make, I decided some meringue cookies were in order. I wasn’t up for making any cute little animals like I did in this meringue recipe, but squishing out a simple shape with technicolor swirls sounded easy and goofy enough to make Craig wonder for the bazillionth time what/who he actually married. The making of unicorn farts has seriously made him reconsider the lack of pre-nup in our marriage.

Meringue Cookies Make For Easy Desserts

I thought that these rainbow meringue cookies would make a great kids party food too. Aren’t little girls (and sometimes big girls who are trapped in their pre-teen youth) typically into hearts, flowers, rainbows and unicorns (and pretty little unicorn farts)? Plates stacked up with these and bowls overflowing with them are not only really pretty, but a great way to subliminally punish that one woman you secretly despise by stuffing her kid full of these pretty little things and all of the sugar that they contain. ;) Or, by having your kids party food contain unicorn farts, you may have figured out a way to never be volunteered as room mother, class trip chaperone or any one of a hundred or so inane school activity time suck vortexes.

These really are a cinch to make and taste so much better than those tubs of meringue cookies that you can buy from some stores. Plus, you can make the homemade cookies any color you want. The store bought version usually comes in one color: kind of a dirty white (more like a horse fart, not a unicorn fart). (The homemade meringue cookies are a blazingly bright white…if you don’t add any color to them.)

If you change the shape of the meringue, as you’re piping it out, you can also make these into easy desserts. In fact, you don’t even need a piping bag if you don’t want to use one. Simply spoon the meringue onto the lined baking sheet in either a flat disk or a flat shallow bowl with low sides. Bake them up and fill/top with berries, chocolate sauce, caramel….you get the idea.

Meringue Cookies

The color intensity is determined by how much coloring you use and the shiny sparkle comes from the luster dust that I brushed on to the unicorn fart. To make it as real as possible, you MUST brush the unicorn farts with some sparkle and shine. What’s the point of making half assed unicorn farts?

4.6 from 9 reviews
Sweet Easy Rainbow Meringue Cookies AKA Unicorn Farts

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Cute little rainbow meringue cookies, aka unicorn farts, make for easy desserts or kids party food.
Author:
Recipe type: Snack
Cuisine: French
Serves: 36
  • 6 Large Egg Whites (room temperature)
  • ⅜ Teaspoon Cream of Tartar
  • 1½ Cups Superfine Sugar*
  • 1 Teaspoon Almond Extract
  • Gel Food Coloring
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees Farenheit.
  2. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
  3. *You can buy superfine sugar or you can use regular sugar that you buzz in your food processor. Pour the sugar into the processor and buzz it until the grains are much smaller, but not turned to powder.
  4. Add the egg whites to a glass or metal mixing bowl and begin beating them until they start to thicken.
  5. Add in the cream of tartar and continue beating until soft peaks form.
  6. Add the almond extract to the mixture (you could add any flavor, or no flavor, that you like).
  7. Slowly add the sugar to the beating mixture. Make sure that each addition of sugar is fully incorporated before adding the next.
  8. Continue beating until the mixture is glossy and stiff peaks form.
  9. Make sure that all of the sugar is incorporated by running a bit of the meringue between 2 fingers. If you don't feel any sugar grains, you're good to go.
  10. Set up your piping bag with your chosen tip (I used a large star tip).
  11. Fold the bag down around your hand and open it as wide as you can down near the tip.
  12. Select your gel colors and make stripes with the colors up the inside sides of the bag.
  13. Fill the piping bag with meringue.
  14. Close the top and gently pipe the meringue onto the lined baking sheets.
  15. You only need to leave a bit of room between the meringue cookies.
  16. Bake for 90 minutes.
  17. Check for doneness by feeling/lightly tapping the side of a meringue. If it's sticky, bake for another 20 minutes or until it's no longer sticky to the touch. (after that 20 minutes, bake in 10 minute intervals until done)
  18. When they're done cooking, turn off the heat and leave the meringues in the oven until they cool.
  19. Remove from oven.
  20. Store in an airtight container.
Notes
These will keep for about 4 days in an airtight container. The recipe makes around 36 meringue cookies, but the number really varies depending on the size that you make them.
[/br] The luster dust gets brushed on after the cookies have cooled. Just dip a dry brush into the dust and gently brush it on the meringues. The dust comes in many different colors. I used a pearlized red dust on mine.

Stefanie November 10, 2014 at 10:58 am

I’m deathly allergic to almonds:(. Can I use vanilla extract instead? What would it change, besides the taste? Thanks!

Pamela November 10, 2014 at 11:08 am

Hi Stefanie,

Sure, you can use vanilla extract instead. In fact, you could use any flavoring you like. For the vanilla, you can use the same amount as called for in the recipe. If you use something like lemon, cherry or peppermint start with half as much and add more to taste. These other extracts are pretty potent. ENJOY!!!

Mel December 4, 2013 at 7:58 pm

made these a few days ago and they are wonderful. My nephews will love these. Thanks so much

Pamela December 4, 2013 at 8:55 pm

Hi Mel, I’m so happy to hear that you like them. You’re nephews are going to think you’re the coolest!!!

Cat December 1, 2013 at 1:07 am

These are so cool! I just wanted to know what would happen if you were to use liquid food coloring? Would it work and how could you make it work? How thick would you put the coloring on?

Pamela December 1, 2013 at 9:24 am

Thanks Cat,

Thanks. You could use liquid food coloring in these, but you would have to put it in while you were whipping the egg whites, so you’d end up with one solid color. The liquid food colorings won’t stay in place on the side of the piping bag to give you the striped effect. You could make up a couple of different colors and put them in the bag together to give you a 2 tone meringue.

Lien September 19, 2013 at 8:01 am

Just a question before I start: do I color the entire piping bag or just the bottom part?

Pamela September 19, 2013 at 8:55 am

Hi Lien,

You just run the colors up the sides of the piping bag (I ran the colors from the top of the piping tip to as high as I was filling the bag.). By doing that, the meringue picks up the colors as it’s pushed out. The insides of the meringues will be white and the outsides colored. Hope that helps.

Lien September 19, 2013 at 7:57 am

Wow, just wow! Over here in The Netherlands on the other side of the ocean, unicorns are even more rare than they are in the USA. But I am going to create these unicorn farts for my daughters sweet sixteen. She love’s merengues (my father used to make them and there was always a big pile of them to snack), but it has been years since she had them homemade. The name will only make them even more yummie. I guess her kind of humor is close to yours

Pamela September 19, 2013 at 8:57 am

I love that. I think I’ve seen a unicorn on one of my visits to Amsterdam…but maybe that was just the geniver talking. ;) I hope your daughter loves these. CHEERS to a weird sense of humor!

Wicked Goodies September 18, 2013 at 1:09 pm

Oh man you had me at unicorn farts. Too funny. Very clever! Thanks for making me laugh today :)

Pamela September 18, 2013 at 3:36 pm

LOL – So glad I could make you laugh today! You just made my day. :)

Debz September 12, 2013 at 3:41 am

I don’t know you, but as of reading this blog entry, I absolutely love you!

Pamela September 12, 2013 at 11:44 am

Thanks Debz!

I love it when I come across another person with a weird sense of humor like mine. :)

Debbie July 24, 2013 at 1:26 pm

I am working on makeing dragon theamed cupcakes. When thinking about how to make flame toppers I emediatly thought of the meuingue you see on pies. My plan was to make meringue cookies that were orange, yellow, and red and skick them to the cupcakes with frosting. I was going to use a star tip amd make mutipul peaks to mimic the flames. I tried this once with a different recipie but I used liquid food coloring and the coners were not nearly as vivid as I wanted them, mixed in the piping bag, and the extra liquid made the meuingue fall so that the peaks were not very distinct. I think that your idea of using gel food coloring in the bag will fix that. This first batch of cookies was also underdone, stuck to the pan, and gooey inside but I think I know how to fix that now. I also origionaly wanted the cookies to have the brow baked coloring on the tips that the pies have. Is this even possible? My mom said to just burn the cookies a bit but Im afraid that that would affect the taste or burn the whole cookie instead of just the tips. Im also worried that when I put the cookies on the cupcakes they will soake up the mouisture from the cake and frosting and droop. Plese help

Pamela July 24, 2013 at 2:42 pm

Hi Debbie,

Sounds like you’ve taken on quite the project. :) I’ll try to answer your questions here in the order you asked them.

-Yes, the gel coloring will help to keep the meringue from getting runny. To make the solid colors, just add the coloring while you do the final beating, or carefully mix it in after you divide your batches to get the different colors. Then spoon it into the piping bag, already colored.
-If you want to have browned tips, I would bake the cookies as normal then burn the tips with a kitchen torch. This will allow you to really control what gets browned and what doesn’t.
-The meringues will absorb the moisture from the frosting. I would attach them just before serving to help avoid that.

I’m not sure what your overall design for these are, but have you thought about using fondant to make the flames? You won’t have to worry about the moisture issue and there’s no cooking involved with it. You can then either mix up a brown color of fondant (to blend into the tips) or still use a torch to get the “burnt” edges you’re looking for. Here’s the recipe I use for making marshmallow fondant (it’s easy to make, color and best of all – it’s edible) Marshmallow Fondant Recipe. There are several posts on the site that show you some of the things I’ve made with the fondant.

Would love to see pictures of the final dragon cupcakes. :)

tabby July 20, 2013 at 1:13 pm

where do you get the luster dust? and do you have a recipe for it? thanks for the recipe. going to make it for my grandson’s birthday.

Pamela July 20, 2013 at 8:56 pm

Hi Tabby,

I got the luster dust at a cooking supply store. It comes in a bunch of different colors. Wilton makes a pearl dust that’s the same thing. You can buy it from Amazon or lots of JoAnne Fabrics stores carry Wilton products.

Your grandson is going to be one happy boy! :) (don’t forget to wear those gloves…or grandma’s gonna have some pretty rainbow hands too. ;) )

Pamela July 23, 2013 at 8:16 pm

As a quick update to locating the luster dust….

I was in my local Michael’s today (7/23/13) and found that they are now stocking the Wilton products. They carry 2 different kinds (either one will work great). One is called pearl dust. It comes in different colors and each package contains 1 container. This will give the meringues a pearlized coating. The other one is called sparkle dust. They had it in a 3 pack container. It also comes in different colors. This dust will give the meringues a sparkly finish.

Don’t freak out if you can’t find the dust. These unicorn farts look fantastic all on their own. In fact, in the pictures of the piles of meringues, you can hardly see the dust that I used on them.

MarcSeattle June 25, 2013 at 7:44 pm

Harmony Sunshine, I think you’ve been sniffing your cauldron fumes a little too long. Are you insane?!?!?

chuchi June 25, 2013 at 10:00 am

Add a little witchcraft and they come out great!!!

Harmony Sunshine June 25, 2013 at 9:59 am

Really enjoyed reading your recipe of on (MMB edit – I have deleted the FB page to end this)
page..But it was removed before I could try it, and after finding out the reason..I was appalled!!~ ,I cant believe that you can be so narrow minded!~ I mean you go so far as to tell us that to be “realistic”:(as we all know unicorns fart rainbows and glitter) that we had to use the glitter dust.. UNICORNS ARE MYTHICAL CREATURES>>>seems you believe in them, but you object to “crafty witches”…Seriously??!~ Thought that the point of your blog was to share your recipes with the World Wide Web, not to DISCRIMINATE who reads or uses your reciopes due to their religious preferences…. Well… FYI ….Martha Stewart also had this recipe ( with more subdued colors) on her show,,,wanna write to her and get angry because you are associated with an “ex-con”…??? JEEZ lady. Save your drama and indignation for something that is truly hurting people,,,,not something as nice as doing you the favor of promoting your blog!~ .lucky for you that Witches/Pagans/ etc are a peaceful religion,,otherwise Id be sticking pins in your voodoo doll as we speak…!~

Pamela June 25, 2013 at 3:22 pm

Dear Harmony,

Unfortunately, the site owner that you are referring to removed my original request from their page so you were not able to see it. But what I said was “I’m so glad that you and your readers are enjoying my recipe for Unicorn Farts. However, could you please remove my full recipe from your page. I don’t care what anyone’s religious affiliation is or is not and that was NEVER brought up by me, that was only brought up by the page owner. My concern was that my copyrighted material (yes, a recipe is copyrighted and that copyright is considered infringed upon when the entire recipe, as it was written – or verbatim, is re-posted without the copyright owners consent). This is all I am going to say about the topic.

Ruth Sheldon June 25, 2013 at 7:34 am

Hey Pamela, I do something similar in December with some Red or green food colouring, creating a cute little minty looking swirl (with peppermint extract) they’re a hit at every Christmas potluck and cookie party I attend!
I must say, the idea of adding gels instead and luster dust make for some very interesting ideas popping into my head for my daughter’s second birthday. (I’m thinking of a fantasy theme so rainbow Unicorn farts might just be the perfect idea!) thanks for the idea, and the laugh!

Pamela June 25, 2013 at 5:28 pm

Hi Ruth,

I love the idea of adding mint to the meringues for Christmas! Sounds like your daughter is in for one heck of a birthday party. (The adults too!) I know there’s another site that has a stunning rainbow jello mold too. I think it’s alcohol infused, but you could certainly make it kid friendly.

Debbie June 22, 2013 at 1:37 am

Just had to let you know that you made my day! These cookies are great and my grandkids love the name. I love the article you wrote to go with and just wish I had thought of those things when I was volunteered to do the school thing.

Pamela June 22, 2013 at 8:46 am

Thanks Debbie, you just made MY day. :)

Doris June 19, 2013 at 1:32 pm

Hi, first time Meringue cook here.. a few questions.. how long should it take for the eggs to form small soft peaks? 10 minutes..20?? do you mix on high speed or medium? Why might my mixture not make firm peaks?? and, the gel mixture I brought was a Wilson brand, but it drained all down the inside of the bag before I could load up the mixture. Is there another brand that stays in place.. and you may suggest to wear disposibel gloves. LOL, My hands are purple now and I am on the way to a party with the ones I made, and I think I will make up a reason of why they purple after making Unicorn Fart cookies for them.. take care..
Doris

Pamela June 19, 2013 at 1:41 pm

Hi Doris,

The time it takes to get the firm peaks can vary, depending on the humidity in the air when you’re making them. But generally you should have stiff peaks (when you pull up on the meringue, it makes a point and doesn’t curl over and visibly begin to droop) within 10-15 minutes. I generally whip my egg whites on high speed. RE: the firm peak problem (lol – almost sounds like a dr. might need to be called)…my guess is not whipped on a high enough speed and not long enough (but see above comment regarding humidity).

The color gels I use are Wilton as well. Maybe the one you have needs to be stirred up before using, the gels are usually pretty thick (maybe return it for another bottle).

About the gloves…yeah, I had a beautiful rainbow striped hand for a couple of days. ;) You could put some rubbing alcohol on a tissue or cotton ball and rub a bit on the colored spots. That will help get rid of the color faster. But I’m a big fan of dressing to match the color of your hands and proclaiming that the Unicorn Farts made them your accessory of the moment. :) If they are truly deserving of being called friends, they will not mock the task you undertook to make them unicorn farts. ENJOY!!!

gmack May 18, 2013 at 4:24 pm

Umm…the creature depicted above is a winged horse,ala Pegasus, not a unicorn.

Pamela May 18, 2013 at 4:42 pm

Not gonna split hairs here gmack…but Pegusii(?) (plural for Pegasus?) don’t have horns. and yes, I realize that unicorns don’t usually have wings either. Let’s just say this is a magical beast that has been created from the mating of a Pegasus and a Unicorn that is carrying the special gene that causes magical rainbow farts. Deal? :)

Catherine May 17, 2013 at 11:18 am

These are fabulous and I have tried them and too ended up with coloured hands …the paintbrush us a great idea… I found red dominated mine…. Question they hold perfect in an airtight container but once left in the air start to go sticky on the edges…iss this normal…hoping to make again tonight for party tomorrow and fill woth cream but think they won’t hold…any suggestions would be appreciated …thanks catherine

Pamela May 17, 2013 at 7:52 pm

Hi Catherine,

Sorry to be responding so late to your question. I was offline all day. :(

Yes, the soggy thing is normal. Sugar is hydroscopic…so it looks for water and sucks it up. (So on really humid days, making meringues is pretty much a sticky disaster ;) ) As for the party and cream…I would put the cream on them just before serving them. Or, make mini pavolova’s (which are meringue shells filled with creamy filling and topped with fresh fruit). If you make the meringues into little bowls (just make a little impression in the center of your meringue shape) then you can fill and serve them without dealing with the extra sticky.

Sorry about the coloured hands…I had rainbow blotches on mine for a couple of days. I’m so glad you liked the meringues. Have a great weekend!

Dawn Thompson April 20, 2013 at 10:58 pm

Have you ever made them with the store bought egg whites, since they now make them without yellow food coloring? I love your sense of humor and can’t wait to try this recipe. I have 2 nephews that will just flip over these!

Pamela April 21, 2013 at 8:55 am

Hi Dawn, I haven’t used them, but I have heard that they do work for making meringue. Your nephews are going think you’re the coolest aunt ever!

Roxy April 20, 2013 at 8:19 am

I had some trouble getting the colors to work. Mine look more like polar bear farts because only the blue came out. LOL
I guess I didn’t make the gel colors inside the bag thick enough?

Pamela April 20, 2013 at 8:41 am

Hi Roxy,

I love that you called yours polar bear farts! :) That sounds like what happened with the colors. I did wide bands of color (I used one of those appetizer picks that’s really wide because I couldn’t get at my regular toothpicks.). Using a paintbrush is probably the best tool to use for this to get an even amount of coloring in the bag and so that your hand doesn’t look like some technicolor science experiment (which mine did for about 3 days). Also, you may need to drag the colors further up the side of the bag.

But your singular color stripe makes me think that you could change the color stripe depending on the season or occasion. A green stripe = leprechaun fart A pink stripe = Cupid fart Purple stripe (or your kids favorite color) = tooth fairy fart….Oh the possibilities are endless. :)

Rosie @ Blueberry Kitchen April 16, 2013 at 8:24 am

Haha, these look amazing!

Pamela April 17, 2013 at 8:27 am

Thanks Rosie. :)

Maureen | Orgasmic Chef April 12, 2013 at 4:39 am

I think if I could fart those I’d sell tickets :)

Pamela April 12, 2013 at 9:17 am

Maureen, if you could fart rainbows and glitter, people would buy tickets for sure. If everyone farted rainbow and glitter airplane travel might be somewhat more tolerable too. ;)

Marion Poke April 12, 2013 at 2:30 am

Pamela… I love your quirky humour… AND your recipe… My problems are that we are great grandparents.. so way too many kids(big and small) for only one batch and second is that my Printer has shat itself telling me there’s a paper jam… and absolutely nothing in there.. So i cannot print off till I get it fixed or replaced… I will have to write it all out by hand for now :(… and chase the recipe again later for the very colourful pretty picture

Pamela April 12, 2013 at 9:19 am

Hi Marion, I feel your printer pain…mine just did the same thing 2 days ago. We can put a man on the moon, but we can’t make a printer that doesn’t say “paper jam” when a speck of dust gets in it? I can’t wait to hear how you like them….and yes, sounds like you’ll need to make an extra big batch. :)

Jenni C April 10, 2013 at 7:21 am

I’ve never made Meringue Cookies before, but this makes me want to! I’m sure my son will love these, and most likely my brother and sisters (the 21yr old sister will probably like them the most to be honest!). This is one of those types of desserts that I would love to make for a family event and tell everyone what they are called…my father’s side of the family can be a little up-tight and I absolutely LOVE getting them worked up. Thanks for the great recipe, I’ll be trying these soon!

Pamela April 10, 2013 at 8:19 am

Jenni, you’re a woman after my own heart! I love to stir things up with people too. Sounds like you might want to make a double batch of these meringues. Your sister sounds like she’ll be begging you to make these all the time. Aren’t siblings fun? LOL Enjoy!!! (let me know how the family reacts)

Katie April 9, 2013 at 5:36 pm

I will not be allowing my daughters to see this post, as they would not stop nagging me until I actually make them. But I do think I will make them for a birthday surprise. They are awesome and hilarious! Love it! So glad you didn’t make a boring old egg-white omelet.

Pamela April 9, 2013 at 5:48 pm

Katie, I think your daughters are going to love you…then they’ll be nagging you for days to make them again and again and again. :) I’m sure mom will be able to resist the cuteness that is unicorn farts though. LOL

Jessica @ Burlap and Butter Knives April 9, 2013 at 4:58 pm

The topic of unicorn farts has never been FULLY researched before, not in the way I always imagined it should be, until now. Thank you Pamela. I actually feel complete now, like, I might actually get a decent night’s sleep for once. I feel confident that you have replicated the Unicorn Farts with 100% accuracy. Damn you’re good.

Thank you for being you. xoxoxoxo

Pamela April 9, 2013 at 5:50 pm

Jessica, you know me…I investigate and blow the lid off those things inquiring minds want to know, but are too embarrassed to do themselves. I, apparently, have no shame. As for that sleep…you won’t get a good nights sleep until you make, and consume, a pile of sparkly unicorn farts. They are said to contain magic elixirs of calmness

Belinda @zomppa April 9, 2013 at 3:39 pm

Unicorn farts…AWESOME! You just made unicorns the coolest.

Pamela April 9, 2013 at 5:51 pm

Thanks Belinda, but I think the unicorns are the cool one’s and they just let us live in their world. :)

Dorothy at ShockinglyDelicious April 9, 2013 at 1:31 pm

Oh yeah, almond-flavored unicorn farts would be even BETTER than plain u-f’s! I have never used luster dust, and I don’t see the instructions on how to use it on the cookies (before baking? after baking?). Can you please tell us how to use it, and then I am all over these lovelies.

Pamela April 9, 2013 at 2:05 pm

Hi Dorothy,

I updated the recipe. The luster dust actually goes by a bunch of different names. But it can be found at better stocked kitchen stores or online. Happy fart eating. ;) (I’m such a 3 year old sometimes)