Cooking Black Eyed Peas for Luck and Prosperity in the New Year

cooking black eyed peas, how to cook black eyed peas, roasted black eyed peas, fried black eyed peas, black eyed peas recipes

Southern tradition calls for the cookin’ n eatin’ of black eyed peas on New Year’s Day fer good luck. I’m what Southerners would call a Northerner, so I don’t typically follow that tradition…but I figured, what could it hurt? I could sure use a Brinks truck backin’ up to my driveway and unloading a few gold bars or stacks of cash, couldn’t you? A traditional recipe for cooking black eyed peas calls for a pot and some bacon. While this sounds pretty good, I wanted something more of a snack. See our family tradition involves eating pork cooked in a vat of sauerkraut. I’m not too sure that the Southern version of black eyed peas would be a great tasting side dish with sauerkraut.

There are a few places where you can learn how to cook black eyed peas in the traditional manner, if that’s how you roll (I’ll let you Google those). But you know how delicious and addicting those oven roasted chickpeas are? You can do the same thing with black eyed peas. I think I might even like the oven roasted black eyed peas (technically these probably should be called oven fried black eyed peas) better than the chickpeas.

You can either use canned or those steamed black eyed peas from Melissa’s Produce. I used those because I like how they taste (compared to the canned variety I’ve been able to track down around here) and finding the canned black eyed peas, here in LA, is like trying to find a natural pair of breasts in this town. But I digress.

I made 2 different batches of these fried black eyed peas, each with different seasonings. My favorite is the Creole.

If you want to be the hostess with the mostest, or the host with the most, you’ll make up a big batch of these and put them out after midnight for everyone to snack on and absorb some of that alcohol they’ve been enjoying. Plus, when one (or several of them) hit the lottery in 2014 you can hit them up for a cut of the winnings since you were the one who helped bring them so much luck and prosperity into their lives.

Happy New Year!!!!!

5.0 from 2 reviews
Cooking Black Eyed Peas for Luck and Prosperity in the New Year

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Cooking black eyed peas in the new year is an age old Southern tradition. These pan fried black eyed peas are a delicious way to carry on the tradition.
Author:
Recipe type: Snack
Cuisine: American
Serves: 2-4
  • 1 11 Ounce Package Steamed Black Eyed Peas
  • Spray Olive Oil
  • 1½ Teaspoons Creole Seasoning (I used Tony Chachere's)
Instructions
  1. Drain and rinse black eyed peas. Make sure that they're drained well and allowed to dry out a bit.
  2. Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees Farenheit.
  3. Line a baking sheet with foil.
  4. Carefully pour black eyed peas onto pan and spray with a coat of oil.
  5. Sprinkle creole seasoning onto peas and mix to thoroughly coat the peas with oil and seasoning.
  6. Spread black eyed peas into a single layer on the pan and slide into the oven.
  7. Cook for 30 minutes and test for doneness (they should be a bit crunchy).
  8. Carefully stir the peas and let cook for another 10 minutes or until crunchy.
  9. Remove from oven to cool.
  10. Pour into serving bowl.
  11. Serve.
Notes
Another seasoning that I used was 1½ teaspoons Old Bay Seasoning, a dash of Cayenne pepper and a couple of pinches of salt.

henrietta young April 5, 2014 at 10:18 am

you did not say what kind of black eyed peas you use??/are they dry, or frozen?? sounds good. god bless america….

Pamela April 6, 2014 at 10:13 am

Hi Henrietta,

I used Melissa’s pre-steamed black eyed peas. But you could use any type. If you use frozen, just thaw them then follow the listed instructions. If you use dry, soak them overnight then cook them in water overnight then drain. Cook them in boiling water just until they begin to soften but aren’t mushy. Drain then follow the instructions.

If you’ve ever seen the directions for oven roasted chickpeas, these follow the same instructions.

Easiest thing is to buy the Melissa’s pre-cooked. You can find them at Trader Joe’s and some other higher end grocers.

Hope you enjoy these. They’re ridiculously addicting.

GiGi Eats Celebrities December 29, 2013 at 1:23 pm

LOVE black-eyed peas!!!! ALWAYS eat them on New Year’s DAY for GOOD LUCK :D

Pamela December 29, 2013 at 7:51 pm

Hi Gigi!

This might be a great way to eat them all day long. Maybe it will bring LOTS of luck. ;) Happy New Year!!!!

Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl December 29, 2013 at 12:45 pm

Have got to try this, thinking they would be very much enjoyed! Lovely photos!

Pamela December 29, 2013 at 12:51 pm

Thanks Pamela! They are a truly addicting snack…and if they bring good luck in the new year, how could you not want to eat them? LOL Happy new year to you and your family!!!

John@Kitchen Riffs December 29, 2013 at 10:21 am

Black eyed peas are terrific! I’ve roasted them before, but for New Year’s I’m pretty old school – gotta have them with collard greens. ;-) But these looks wonderful – thanks.

Maureen | Orgasmic Chef December 29, 2013 at 4:15 am

I married and moved to Tennessee to start college without ever meeting the inlaws. I met them on New Year’s Eve and when his mother said I had to eat a cup of black eyed peas or we would all suffer financially, I laughed. I told her I didn’t eat them.

She began crying and wailing that I was going to ruin the family. One must remember to always meet the inlaws before saying I do.

I have since learned to enjoy black eyed peas – and Creole spices would make me happy indeed. And prosperous, according to my ex MIL.

Pamela December 29, 2013 at 10:23 am

Hi Maureen!

Good thing you ate those black eyed peas back then. ;) I completely agree with you on the meeting of the in-laws. The sooner the better. LOL I didn’t marry into any of those “must eat” things…but there are others…there always are…LOL

Sarah|pickledcapers December 28, 2013 at 12:08 pm

Hands down the best photograph I have seen of a dish that is notoriously impossible to photograph.

Pamela December 29, 2013 at 10:18 am

Thanks Sarah!

It’s a lot easier to photograph these when they’re roasted. They do tend to look like a bit of a slimy mess when you try to take a picture of them in a bowl of Hoppin’ John. ;)