You know how boys like to think that good girls are naughty sometimes? (Which
we they are…) Well, even buttoned up goody two-shoe cocktails like to take a walk on the wild side from time to time. This version of the classic cocktail, the French 75, is what you get when that buttoned up French lady lets her hair down and wants to party.
I give you (drum roll please) the Redneck 75!
Yes folks, this is the unbuttoned French 75, the redheaded stepchild of the French 75 or the backwoods cousin of the French 75. However you’d like to look at this cocktail (I thought I’d give you a few options)…it’s still delicious.
I was inspired to make this drink after having looked at one too many “redneck wine glasses” at the dollar store one day. I’m still stunned that people actually shelled out hard earned money to buy those things at $15-$20 a piece. Of course I shudder when I can’t buy my wine glasses for .50 each in those 6-packs they sell at Ikea.
So what makes the Redneck 75 different from that classic cocktail known as the French 75 you ask? It’s pretty simple really. I tossed out the gin and replaced it with (what else?) moonshine. Then, instead of some fancy pants expensive champagne…the bubbles are some good ol’ American sparkling wine (an inexpensive brand at that) .
I’m guessing that you’re wondering if a concoction like this could possibly taste good. It does.
So break out your best mason jars (if you’re a food blogger I know you’ve got a ton of them) or redneck wine glasses and pour yourself a few Redneck 75’s. Tomorrow is a long way off, so you’ve got plenty of time to drink that water so you don’t have a hangover in the morning.
Now get mixing!
- 2 Ounces Moonshine
- 1½ Teaspoons Powdered Sugar
- ½ Ounce Lemon Juice
- 5 Ounces Brut Sparkling Wine
- Add the moonshine, sugar and lemon juice to a cocktail shaker. (use the plain moonshine in this drink...none of that flavored stuff)
- Fill the shaker with crushed ice (it will make those pretty ice crystals that float on the top), close up the shaker and shake until your hand feels like it's frozen solid.
- Strain the cocktail into your favorite glass (a mason jar or redneck wine glass).
- Top it off with the sparkling wine.