Margaritas for Cinco de Mayo are pretty much a no-brainer, but the way I look at it…a strawberry margarita is the real no-brainer for Cinco de Mayo. They’re pretty much at peak season and aren’t you trying to figure out ways you can eat more of them? I am. Now you can drink them too.
This strawberry margarita recipe is super simple and only needs four ingredients to get you nice and happy. I also like that you can use this same recipe to make strawberry margaritas on the rocks or frozen…whichever way you think goes better with chips and guacamole (the other item that’s required on Cinco de Mayo – guac). You can also use this recipe as a springboard for other strawberry combo flavor combinations for your margarita. Add a few basil leaves for a strawberry basil margarita. Add a chunk of banana for a strawberry banana margarita (although this one is much better frozen). You could add a big chunk of cucumber for a lighter flavored margarita or maybe some blueberries. But I think you get the idea.
I like to keep my cocktail recipes rather simple. This allows me to spend more time with my guests and less time messing around with the bar.
As for the sweetener in this drink…I know this has become somewhat of an “issue” for people lately. It’s like the gluten or gluten free thing going on in the food world. I prefer to use liquid sweeteners when I’m making cocktails. It allows the sweetness to get into the whole drink and there’s no graininess from sugar crystals that haven’t dissolved. I usually have a jar of simple syrup in my fridge and use that. But when I don’t, I generally tend to grab for the agave nectar. But you can use what you like in this drink. You can also use whatever amount of sweetener makes the drink to your liking. I don’t include a measurement for sweetener.
So let’s enjoy those strawberries with a cold and juicy strawberry margarita.
- 4-5 Fresh Strawberries (hulled)
- 1½ Ounces Tequila
- Squeeze of Orange Juice (amount is up to you)
- Sweetener (amount and type is up to you)
- Sugar or Kosher Salt (to rim the glass)
- Drop the strawberries into a cocktail shaker.
- Muddle the strawberries until they're left in little pieces.
- Add your sweetener to the strawberries.
- Add ice to the shaker along with the orange juice and tequila.
- Cover the shaker and shake until you're sure you're hand is going to fall off from the cold.
- Run a cut lime around the rim of the glass and dip it into sugar or salt.
- Fill the glass with ice.
- Strain contents of cocktail shaker into the glass.
- Garnish with a couple slices of strawberry.
Welcome to My Man's Belly! Leave me a comment and let me know what you think about the site or if there's a recipe you'd like to see here. Have a great day.