The bright taste of lemon mixes with the earthy taste of matcha green tea in this pound cake that’s perfect for dessert or as a breakfast treat.
Matcha green tea powder is so good for you. It’s packed with antioxidants, loaded with the amino acid L-Theanine (it promotes a stated of relaxation while helping your memory), it’s a calorie burner and is loaded with chlorophyll which aids in detoxing. So put all of those great things in a sweet treat and you’ve got the best of both worlds. Right? A cake recipe that’s actually good for you.
Since matcha powder tends to have an Earthy flavor to it (I’m talking about the unsweetened matcha green tea powder), mixing it with the bright flavor of lemon is practically a natural.
This pound cake recipe is one of my favorite recipes. It’s my go to easy cake recipe and I like it not just because it’s easy to make, but it’s also not one of those ridiculously rich cakes that makes you feel like you just ate a humongous amount of butter and require massive amounts of soap and water to wash your hands after eating. This pound cake is a little dryer than most pound cakes. But that’s what makes it PERFECT to pair it with a cup of coffee or tea.
Swirling the matcha green tea through this cake makes it look so beautiful when you cut into it. Sure, you could just layer it…but what’s the fun in that? When I cut into this one there were literally oohs and aahs (a bit dramatic for me…but hey, they were their noises).
As for that sweetened matcha green tea powder I mentioned earlier….Yes, you could use that in this cake instead of the unsweetened version. Either one will work. The sweetness that’s in there isn’t ridiculous, it’s just a bit sweet.
- 1 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 8 Ounces Unsalted Butter (separated)
- 4 Large Eggs
- 1¾ Cups All Purpose Flour
- ½ Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Matcha Green Tea Powder
- Zest and Juice from 1 Whole Lemon
- Simple Syrup (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Farenheit.
- Either line a 4×8 loaf pan with parchment paper or butter and flour the loaf pan and set aside.
- Cream the butter and the sugar together until mixture is light yellow in color.
- Add in 1 egg at a time, blending well before adding next egg.
- Add flour, in thirds. This keeps the flour from flying out of the mixing bowl. Just mix until the flour has been dampened before adding the next bit of flour to the mixture.
- Add in baking powder, vanilla, and salt. Blend well.
- Divide the batter in half and add 1 teaspoon of lemon juice and the matcha powder to one bowl and the rest of the lemon juice and zest to the other bowl.
- Mix both of the bowls well so that the new ingredients are completely incorporated.
- Start by pouring some of the lemon batter into the pan and spread evenly. Now alternate the matcha batter and lemon batter in the rest of the pan.
- Drag a knife through all of the layers to swirl them together.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until toothpick, inserted in cake, comes out clean.
- As an optional step, you can brush the top of the pound cake with simple syrup right after taking it out of the oven. The heat will crisp up the damp top and give you a sweet crisp outer layer of the pound cake.
Welcome to My Man's Belly! Leave me a comment and let me know what you think about the site or if there's a recipe you'd like to see here. Have a great day.