I live for asparagus salad this time of year! Yes, I know that sounds bizarre and strange, but it’s true. This time of year I tend to lose my ish every time I get around a good looking bunch of asparagus. I know you can pretty much get it year round, but it just doesn’t taste the same as it does in the Spring.
So yes, it’s true…we eat a TON of asparagus and asparagus salads in our house. I buy the green, the white, and the purple (when I can find it) and we (not the Royal we…the plural we) eat the heck out of those little spears. I blame my parents for this. Their obsession with trying to grow it, and their failure to be able to (when they could grow enough zucchini to feed an entire country – not kidding about that) led me to believe this must be some kind of magical vegetable. It was also one of the few vegetables my mom didn’t massacre in the kitchen by over cooking it. No, asparagus was handled with the utmost care.
I don’t handle the spears so gingerly and I don’t just cook asparagus one way (by steaming it). You’ve seen my recipes for roasted asparagus along with the million other ways I prepare asparagus here on the blog.
But this asparagus salad is one of the best ways to enjoy the vegetable – in its raw state. Yep, just run your peeler along the spear to make paper thin strips, toss them on the plate then toss them again in a tangy vinaigrette and you’ve got yourself a great little salad. It also makes for an impressive looking appetizer plate for a dinner party.
The best part of this asparagus salad is the strawberry vinaigrette. How could you not love pairing another great product of Spring, the strawberry, with this? The strawberry gives just a bit of sweetness to the otherwise tart vinaigrette and it make the plate look stunning.
- 1 Pound Asparagus (mixing green and white is great, but you can use all the same kind if you like)
- 6-7 Strawberries (sliced into rounds)
- 2 Persian Cucumbers (diced)
- ¼ Cup Chopped Toasted Almonds
- Vinaigrette Dressing
- 1 Teaspoon Lemon Zest
- 2 Teaspoons Lemon Juice
- 3 Teaspoons Almond Oil
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper (to taste)
- 1 Tablespoon Shallot (minced)
- 2 Large Strawberries (diced)
- Shave the asparagus spears with a vegetable peeler. If you have trouble shaving them completely, lay the spear on top of the wooden handle of one of your spatulas. This will give it enough lift so that you can completely peel the spear.
- Mix the peeled asparagus together then divide it among 4 plates.
- Place the strawberry rounds on the plates.
- Sprinkle the cucumber and almonds over top of the salads.
- Vinaigrette Dressing
- Add all of the vinaigrette ingredients into a bowl and mix to thoroughly combine.
- Spoon vinaigrette over top of the salads.
Welcome to My Man's Belly! Leave me a comment and let me know what you think about the site or if there's a recipe you'd like to see here. Have a great day.