These strawberry dessert bars are layered with a graham cracker bottom and jam packed with strawberries (since they’re in season). Just to make them that much tastier, they’re topped with a oatmeal crumble. Who wants seconds?
I have a confession to make. These strawberry dessert bars started out as breakfast bars. What happened? Graham crackers happened. I had the bottom layer all made up (basically the crumbly top layer would go on the bottom, but I was suddenly overcome with thoughts of graham crackers. (Yes, deep down inside I’m really a 4 year old.) I LOVE graham crackers. I could have added a layer of cream cheese, to make this more dessert like, but I wanted to keep these bars on the lighter side.
You could still eat these as breakfast bars, but the graham cracker bottom makes them a little less portable. But they sure do taste a lot better with the graham cracker bottom. 😉
These dessert bars feel really decadent, but they’re actually pretty light. You can serve them as is or maybe drop them in a bowl with a scoop of ice cream. Or you could add a dollop of whipped cream to keep them on the lighter side.
The other nice thing about these dessert bars is that because they’re so simple they freeze like a dream. Since things have gotten a bit warmer around here, stuff doesn’t last when it sits on the counter. I just lined up 4 of the bars, wrapped them in foil and dropped them in the freezer. Now they’re ready when we are. And fyi…these strawberry dessert bars taste really good when they’re cold.
- Crumble Topping
- ¼ Cup Old Fashioned Oats
- ¼ Cup Flour
- ¼ Cup Brown Sugar
- 3 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter (melted)
- 1½ Packages Graham Crackers (packages = the packets inside the box)
- ½ Cup Unsalted Butter (melted)
- ¼ Teaspoon Salt
- 3 Cups Strawberries (chopped)
- ¼ Cup Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Cornstarch
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Crumble Topping
- Combine topping ingredients in a small bowl and stir to thoroughly combine then set aside.
- Drop the graham crackers into the bowl of your food processor and buzz until they are in fine crumbs.
- Pour graham cracker crumbs into bowl then pour in melted butter and salt. Stir to thoroughly combine.
- Press graham cracker mixture into an 8"x8" baking pan. Make sure that the layer is even and well packed into the pan.
- In another bowl mix the strawberries with the sugar and cornstarch. Make sure the the berries are evenly coated with the mixture (this is what's going to help thicken the filling).
- Pour the strawberry mixture into the pan with the graham crackers and make sure that it's all level in the pan.
- Sprinkle the topping generously over top of the strawberries.
- Pop into the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- The dessert bars are done when the topping is lightly browned.
- Remove from oven and let cool before cutting into bars.
Welcome to My Man's Belly! Leave me a comment and let me know what you think about the site or if there's a recipe you'd like to see here. Have a great day.