I know what you’re thinking…gluten free chocolate cake? UGH! That’s gotta taste terrible. Dry. Not good. Well, you would be wrong. Not only is this cake gluten free, and sort of good for you (at least better for you than your typical chocolate cake) but it tastes incredibly delicious. It’s decadently rich, chocolatey, and still gluten free. I’ll tell you the secret after the jump.
The secret to this delicious gluten free chocolate cake is garbanzo beans. Yes, beans. I know that garbanzo beans are usually only found in hummus or maybe roasted chickpeas, but NEVER in a cake. Well, now they are in a cake. Oh, and did I mention this cake is dairy free too? Oh the madness!!!!!
There’s a bunch of recipes out there for garbanzo bean cakes and cookies as well as gluten free chocolate cake. So I decided to combine parts of those garbanzo bean cake recipes with my flourless chocolate cake recipe for today’s post.
Since this cake doesn’t use any flour, in fact there’s only a teaspoon and a half of dry ingredients in here, there’s nothing to dry this cake out. That’s why it has such a rich texture. I’m not going to use that gross word “moist” to describe this gluten free chocolate cake 1 – because I HATE that word and 2 – because it just doesn’t do the cake justice. This thing is R-I-C-H.
Aside from its consistency and the fact that it’s gluten free it’s also relatively good for you too. There’s roughly 39 grams of protein in this cake. The same can not be said for traditional chocolate cake. This is not a Paleo cake though. There are a few other ingredients in here that disqualify for Paleo status.
So if you’re jonesing for a chocolate fix and you want it quick, this is the cake recipe for you. It’s got all the flavor and comes together really quickly. It doesn’t even need frosting. And NO, it does not taste like garbanzo beans.
- 1 Cup Semi-Sweet/Bittersweet Chocolate Chips
- 1 15 Ounce Can Garbanzo Beans (drained and rinsed)
- 4 Large Eggs
- 1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla
- ½ Teaspoon Baking Powder
- ⅓ Cup Honey
- ½ Cup Nutella
- For the Topping
- Powdered Sugar
- Cocoa Powder
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Oil or Butter a 9" round cake pan (don't flour it unless you use gluten free flour).
- Place the chocolate chips into a microwave-safe bowl. Heat chips in 30 second intervals. Stir between each heating until they are melted.
- Add the garbanzo beans and eggs to the bowl of a food processor. Buzz until smooth. Add the honey, the cinnamon, vanilla and the baking powder. Pulse to blend everything together.
- Pour in the melted chocolate chips and Nutella and blend until smooth. Scrape down the sides to make sure everything is completely mixed.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan.
- Slide pan into oven and bake for 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool cake in the pan on a wire rack for 10 to 15 minutes before turning it out onto a serving plate.
- Let cake cool completely before sprinkling with powdered sugar and cocoa powder.
Welcome to My Man's Belly! Leave me a comment and let me know what you think about the site or if there's a recipe you'd like to see here. Have a great day.