Breakfast sausage is a favorite breakfast time treat around here, but I hate buying the stuff with all the preservatives in it. This homemade breakfast sausage tastes as good, or better, than the store bought stuff and you know exactly what’s in it. Plus, it’s gluten free and Paleo friendly too.
I wanted to make something extra special for Craig on Valentine’s Day, but what? I thought long and hard about that because there so many things that he likes. But one thing that we don’t do very often is have a big homemade breakfast. For that, we usually go out to one of our favorite local places. So I thought I’d change things up and make him that big homemade breakfast with a Valentine’s Day twist.
This homemade breakfast sausage is how I added the V Day twist. I cut it into little heart shaped patties. (No one ever said sausage had to be formed into round patties.) I served the sausage with cheddar cheese, biscuits, eggs and fruit (just like they do at our favorite restaurant).
Don’t panic about making breakfast sausage, it’s really as easy as buying ground pork and adding your favorite seasonings. Oh, and letting it rest in the fridge overnight so all those seasonings can really get blended in with the meat. It’s really just that easy. There’s no special equipment or spices required. I like mine a little spicy and just slightly sweetened, but you can change up the seasonings to your preference. You aren’t going to hurt my feelings. 😉
To make the heart shaped sausages you can either hand shape them or do what I did. I rolled the breakfast sausage meat out between two sheets of plastic wrap then hit it with my heart shaped cookie cutter. By doing it that way, I was able to make sure all of the patties were the same thickness and would cook evenly. But you could totally eyeball it by forming the patties.
So make your honey a big scrumptious Valentine’s Day breakfast and serve him/her little heart shaped breakfast sausage patties. If you have a cut out biscuit recipe, you could make heart shaped biscuits too.
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- Add pork to a medium sized bowl and then add all the seasonings to the pork.
- Work the seasonings into the pork with your hands so that everything gets well blended.
- Cover bowl with lid, or plastic wrap, and chill over night.
- Form into equal size patties and gently flatten them (so that they cook evenly).
- Cook in a pan over medium high heat. Cooking time will vary depending on the size of the patties you make. But it should only be a few minutes per side. Flip them when browned.
Welcome to My Man's Belly! Leave me a comment and let me know what you think about the site or if there's a recipe you'd like to see here. Have a great day.