You don’t need to do takeout when you’re looking for chicken fried rice. This chicken cauliflower fried rice is healthier and tastes just like takeout.
I know you think I’m making it up when I say cauliflower tastes like fried rice, but it really does.
Cauliflower has seemed to take over just about any dish you can think of, from mac and cheese to tabbouleh to pizza crust and everything in between. But it really is just that versatile. Who knew that simple unassuming looking vegetable could be used in so many different ways. Even better, it takes on the flavor of those things you’re making.
This chicken cauliflower rice is one of my favorite dishes to make, probably because I’m a huge fried rice fan…especially chicken fried rice with pineapple. This recipe is so easy and versatile you could add in pineapple (when you add the peas and carrots) or substitute shrimp for the chicken and it will still be delicious.
One of the things I like about cauliflower fried rice, as opposed to traditional fried rice, is that with all the fiber in the cauliflower it’s more filling than the actual rice dish. That means you’ll eat less. Another couple of benefits of this chicken cauliflower fried rice recipe is that it’s Paleo and gluten free.
With all these healthy bits, why not make up a big pan of this for dinner tonight?
- 3 large eggs
- vegetable oil
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1" pieces
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 4 cups shredded cauliflower
- 1 cup frozen peas and carrots mix
- 6 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- Whisk eggs in a small bowl.
- Lightly oil a medium frying pan and heat over medium heat and cook half the beaten eggs, without stirring them. Remove cooked eggs to a plate to cool.
- Repeat with remaining eggs. Place 1 cooked egg on top of the other, roughly chop and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, toss chicken pieces with the sesame oil and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Heat 2 tablespoons vegetable oil over medium-high heat in large frying pan and fry the chicken pieces (while stirring) until lightly golden, about 5 minutes.
- Add the onion and garlic and fry for 3-4 minutes or until onion has softened.
- Stir in the peas and carrots and cook for 1-2 minutes (just enough time to thaw them).
- Stir in the cauliflower and green onions, tossing and mixing thoroughly until very hot.
- Drizzle the soy sauce over the mixture and stir to combine.
- Remove from heat and stir in chopped cooked egg.
Welcome to My Man's Belly! Leave me a comment and let me know what you think about the site or if there's a recipe you'd like to see here. Have a great day.