This herbed lemon quinoa is the perfect side dish for all of your Spring dishes. The herbs combined with the fresh lemon scent will even have you making this as a light lunch.
I’ve been a big fan of quinoa for quite some time. No, I’m not claiming that I was ahead of the trend or anything, I just really like eating it. I like to use it in place of small pastas for salads. It gives you so much more fiber and protein than the pasta does and it takes just about the same amount of time to cook as pasta. So, why not?
The other thing that I really like about quinoa is that it can pick up flavors really easily. This herbed lemon quinoa is a great example of that. As soon as you make it you’ll be able to smell the herbs and lemon. But once you take your first bite you’ll be blown away by how the quinoa lets the flavors really come out. Because quinoa has such a light flavor, it’s a perfect vehicle for strong or light flavors.
Something else I love about this little seed (yes, it’s a seed, not a grain) is that Craig really likes it. I have some grains that I make as side salads that he’s not a big fan of so it’s just me eating this big pot of grains. That doesn’t happen when I make quinoa…especially when I make this lemon quinoa. He’s in there fighting me over every last forkful.
Whenever I make this lemon quinoa I end up making it several times during the week. It seems like I just can’t get enough of it. Which makes my life that much easier when I don’t have to plan out what I’m going to have for lunch all week.
Break out your saucepan and quinoa and make yourself a light and healthy side dish or lunch this week. This dish tastes good hot or cold so you can even take it into work with you.
- 1¼ cups quinoa
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- zest and juice of 1 lemon (Meyer lemon is especially delicious in this)
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- freshly ground black pepper
- kosher salt
- Rinse quinoa in a fine mesh sieve then add to a medium sized saucepan.
- Add 2½ cups water to saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to a simmer and continue cooking until all of the water has been absorbed.
- Remove from heat.
- While the quinoa is still warm, add the olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, parsley and thyme.
- Stir everything until well combined then add pepper and salt to taste.
Welcome to My Man's Belly! Leave me a comment and let me know what you think about the site or if there's a recipe you'd like to see here. Have a great day.