Are you looking for something to brighten up that salad, perk up that burger or make that grain bowl a little more exciting? Then you need to make some quick pickled onions.
The beauty of quick pickled onions is that they only take an hour to make. Oh no….they don’t require you to be actively working on them for an hour. Sorry, I didn’t mean to scare you. How do you make quick pickled onions? All you need to do is make up the brine, slice the onions, put it all into a jar and wait for an hour. Let the brine do all the work.
I love adding these pretty pickled onions to all kinds of things. Pretty much if you put raw onion on it, you can put pickled onions on it. By pickling the onions, you take that raw onion bite out of them and give them a nice and tangy flavor. You can still taste that they’re onions, they just have even more flavor. My favorite things to use them on are nachos and hamburgers.
How long do pickled onions last? You can keep these in the fridge for up to two weeks. After that they get a little slippery and more bitey in flavor. But I’m guessing that you aren’t going to have these pickled onions last that long. Once you eat all the onions, you can use the brine again to make a new batch.
What are you waiting for? Get your pickle on!
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- In a medium sized bowl whisk vinegar, sugar and salt with 1 cup of water until the sugar and salt dissolve.
- Drop the onion slices into a jar and pour the vinegar mixture over top of the onions.
- Use a fork to get all the onions submerged in the brine.
- Let onions sit for 1 hour before serving.
- Refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.
Welcome to My Man's Belly! Leave me a comment and let me know what you think about the site or if there's a recipe you'd like to see here. Have a great day.