Mexican street corn is a delicious summer treat. But let’s face it…it can be really messy. I’ve got a no mess Mexican street corn for you that tastes just as good but won’t leave you with the mess to clean up.
Mexican street corn is a crunchy, creamy, salty, spicy treat that’s been taking over summers for the last few years here, but it can be really messy to eat. Don’t you want that same delicious flavor minus the mess sometimes? I do. Especially when I’m eating inside (because it’s 800 bajillion degrees outside and I just don’t want to eat in all that heat). No, I’m still not used to the heat here in Texas. I miss my mid-70, mosquito free, days back in LA.
I know there are recipes out there that say you can use frozen corn in recipes like this one, and you can, but when sweet corn is in season (like it is right now) I’ll suck it up and cut it fresh off the cob for this recipe. I think the effort is worth it and the flavor can’t be beat. Plus, I use the bi-colored corn which is super sweet right now. To make it easier to cut the corn off the cob, I cook the corn in microwave first.
If you’ve never had Mexican street corn before, here’s what it’s all about. It’s corn on the cob that’s slathered in butter and mayonnaise then topped with cotija cheese and a sprinkle of chili powder (or cayenne if you really want to kick it up). It’s a hot delicious mess. Don’t let the idea of mayo and corn freak you out. It’s delicious!
This version of Mexican street corn is eaten with a fork. It’s got all the same goodness, but it’s in a bowl and you can dish it out and eat til your heart’s content.
We paired this yumminess with Craig’s infamous grilled brats and sangria for a delicious summer dinner.
- 4 ears corn, shucked and cleaned
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons cotija cheese (or you could use queso fresco), plus more for sprinkling on top.
- handful of cilantro, minced
- juice of 1 lime
- chili powder (I used cayenne)
- Place corn on a plate and add a bit of water to the plate.
- Put corn in the microwave and cook for 5 minutes on high.
- Let corn cool, until you can handle it, and slice the kernels from the cobs.
- Melt butter in a large skillet.
- Once butter has melted, add corn to the skillet.
- Cook corn until it starts to char a bit.
- Turn off heat and stir in mayonnaise, cilantro, cheese and lime juice.
- Spoon into a serving bowl.
- You can sprinkle a bit more cheese on top if you like.
- Sprinkle with chili powder or cayenne. (To taste)
Welcome to My Man's Belly! Leave me a comment and let me know what you think about the site or if there's a recipe you'd like to see here. Have a great day.