An easy lemon pound cake is a perfect summer dessert, snack, special occasion, or just because cake. It’s easy to make and has really bright flavors.
I’ve mentioned before that I belong to a cake club. What is a cake club? Well, it’s a group of people that get together once a month and share cake. Everyone bakes a cake that goes along with the theme of that month and then we all take a piece and try them. It’s like book club…minus the books. And lots of times there’s between 8 and 12 of us there. Which, when you think about it, is A LOT of cake.
The theme for this month was Summertime. There was a sand castle cake, a towering smore’s cake covered in toasted marshmallow, a fuzzy navel cake and so many more. Since I’ve been working on a couple of new books, I really wanted to make something simple, yet summery so I opted to make a lemon pound cake.
This easy pound cake recipe is a take off of the pound cake recipe from my grandmother’s cousins (did you follow that?) recipe book from the 1800’s. I’ve added lemon zest to the batter and topped it with a lemony glaze.
A nice big thick slice of this lemon pound cake would be perfectly paired with a cup of coffee or as a light dessert.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 8 ounces unsalted butter
- 4 large eggs
- 1¾ cups all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (divided)
- zest from 1 lemon
- pinch of salt
- ½ cup confectionery sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Farenheit.
- Butter and flour a 4" x 8" loaf pan and set aside.
- Cream the butter and the sugar together until mixture is light yellow in color.
- Add in 1 egg at a time, blending well before adding next egg.
- Add flour, in thirds. This keeps the flour from flying out of the mixing bowl. Just mix until the flour has been dampened before adding the next bit of flour to the mixture.
- Add in baking powder, vanilla, salt and lemon zest. Blend well.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until toothpick, inserted in cake, comes out clean.
- Once the cake has cooled mix together the confectionery sugar and lemon juice.
- Pour over top of the cake and let it run down the sides.
- Let the cake rest until the glaze has set.
- Slice and serve.
Welcome to My Man's Belly! Leave me a comment and let me know what you think about the site or if there's a recipe you'd like to see here. Have a great day.