That Labor Day picnic is coming up and you have no idea what you’re going to bring for your meat do you? How about ribs? I know…you’re thinking that they’ll be a pain to throw on the grill and deal with but I’ve got an easy solution for you. Slow cooker bbq ribs!
Yes, I’m serious. You can cook ribs in your slow cooker that are amazingly delicious and so easy to make you’ll wonder why you haven’t been making ribs like this all along.
It makes sense, doesn’t it? You throw other meats into your slow cooker and they come out meltingly tender, why not ribs? These slow cooker bbq ribs come out just as tender as any other cut of meat you put into that magical cooker. And you don’t even need to cook them all day.
It’s not quite as easy as tossing the ribs in the cooker and pouring a bottle of sauce all over the ribs, but it’s almost that easy. To get more flavor into the ribs, you want to rub them all over with a good spice rub. This gives them the flavor that you get when you do a slow cook and grill session. You can use your favorite spice rub, or I’ve got a simple one that I’ll include in the recipe. I include a little sweet and spice in the rub that compliments the sauce that I use.
The great thing about making slow cooker bbq ribs for a picnic is that they’re already done when you arrive. This gives you more time to enjoy yourself and not have to spend all your time manning the grill. And you have a choice of leaving them on the bone or taking the meat off the bone (which is ridiculously easy since the meat will literally be falling off the bones as you take them out of the slow cooker).
Another reason to use the slow cooker for ribs is that you don’t have to worry about the sauce burning on the ribs. That slow, even heat just liquifies the sauce and gets it all over the ribs. Combined with the dry rub…you’ve got a winning combination.
Now that you know that you’re making slow cooker bbq ribs for the picnic all you need to think about is what you’re going to drink.
- For the Rub
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ancho chile powder
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- For the Ribs
- 1 slab St. Louis Style ribs
- 1 18 ounce bottle Sweet Baby Ray's bbq sauce
- For the Rub
- Add all of the rub ingredients to a bowl and stir to thoroughly combine the seasonings.
- For the Ribs
- Take the ribs out of their package and apply the rub to both sides of the ribs. Don't be shy with the rub. Use it all.
- Place the ribs into your slow cooker. I place them upright and curve them around to fit.
- Pour the bbq sauce down both sides of the ribs. Use the whole bottle.
- Put the lid on the slow cooker and turn on low heat.
- Cook for 4 hours.
- Carefully remove ribs from slow cooker (be careful because the meat will be falling off the bones).
Welcome to My Man's Belly! Leave me a comment and let me know what you think about the site or if there's a recipe you'd like to see here. Have a great day.