Chicken drumsticks might just be the perfect food. Portable, easy to eat, hot or cold, these Mediterranean chicken drumsticks come out nice and juicy.
When it comes to chicken…are you a breast and wing person or a thigh and drumstick person? Me, I’m all thigh and drumstick please. It wasn’t always that way though. I used to be the first one to grab the breast (out of the gutter people), but I was often disappointed because the meat was pretty dry and flavorless. Yes, there are brining tricks to avoid that dry meat (but you don’t always have time or the forethought for brining). I haven’t been as often disappointed when I’ve grabbed for a piece of chicken drumstick or thigh.
I really like to make up a pan of chicken drumsticks for dinner. What doesn’t get eaten for dinner that night gets pulled off the bone and used in salads for dinner the next night. Of course I always leave a couple for my lunch the next day too.
These Mediterranean chicken drumsticks are a little bit of a departure from my usual recipes (and they’re a riff on an Ina Garten recipe). This recipe is for 2 people and only uses 4 chicken drumsticks. You could just as easily double or triple the recipe if you’re going to be feeding more people. It will work nicely.
One of my favorite things about this recipe is the rich sauce that gets created in the bottom of the pan. It’s perfect for serving over rice or noodles. Which, of course, would go perfectly with the chicken.
We eat a lot of salads around here and I really like the flavor of these chicken drumsticks, so I’ve been making them quite a bit lately. You know how sometimes you get stuck on a recipe and just can’t help but make it repeatedly? That’s these drumsticks. And they’re so easy to make, it takes no time at all to whip them up and toss them into the oven.
So step away from the chicken breast (although this recipe would work wonderfully on that too) for a minute and try these Mediterranean chicken drumsticks. I think you’ll really like them.
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, 1 minced and the other 2 sliced
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 lemon halved then cut into ¼" slices
- 1 small onion halved then cut into ¼" slices
- 4 chicken drumsticks
- ½ cup dry white wine
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add thyme, oregano, salt, pepper and minced garlic to olive oil and stir to combine.
- Lay the lemon slices in a single layer in a 6"x9" pan then lay the onion slices on top of the lemon slices.
- Sprinkle the sliced garlic into the pan.
- Place the chicken drumsticks on top of the onions and brush with ½ of the olive oil mixture. Turn the chicken over and brush with the remaining oil.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Pour wine into pan and bake for another 15 minutes.
- Make sure that when a thermometer is inserted into the thickest part of the leg, the temperature reads 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove from oven and serve.
Welcome to My Man's Belly! Leave me a comment and let me know what you think about the site or if there's a recipe you'd like to see here. Have a great day.