The utter deliciousness of saltine toffee is indescribable. But I can describe that it is so easy to make you’ll be making batches of it this season.
Are you struggling to come up with an easy thing to make for dessert or something to take to Aunt Sally’s? Worry no more…this easy saltine toffee is the perfect thing to make for either situation.
You’ve probably had this before, it’s a pretty popular recipe, but I’ll bet you didn’t know how easy it is to make. It only takes 4 or 5 ingredients to make and you probably already have them in your cupboards. Really, I mean it. You only need butter, light brown sugar, saltines, chocolate and I used sliced almonds to top mine, but you could leave off the topping or maybe sprinkle some red and green toppings on there for a bit of festive color.
I love this saltine toffee. It tastes like so much more than its simple ingredients and everyone loves it. I make a lot of candy recipes at Christmas, but none of them are this easy. And at this point on the calendar aren’t you looking for easy? This saltine toffee is something you can make by hand as opposed to running to the store and buying those technicolor cupcakes.
I just bag up the toffee into Christmas themed zip top bags but if you’re going to a party you could gift wrap the top of a shirt box, line the inside with wax paper or foil, and put the pieces of toffee inside. Your host will thank you for bringing it and for not needing to dig out another serving platter.
So whip up a batch of this saltine toffee and make everyone, including yourself, very happy this holiday season.
- 48 saltine crackers
- 2 sticks (1 cup) butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- pinch of kosher salt
- 1 11½ ounce bag chocolate chips (I used 60% cocoa chips)
- sliced almonds (optional topping)
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line baking sheet (a baking sheet with sides so the caramel doesn't pour off when in the oven) with foil and spray with non-stick vegetable oil spray.
- Arrange saltines in a single layer on the baking sheet to completely cover sheet.
- Melt butter in a medium sized saucepan over medium heat. Add brown sugar and keep whisking while everything is simmering away. The mixture will thicken up once the brown sugar has melted.
- Pour caramel mixture over crackers and spread evenly with an offset spatula. Make sure that all the crackers are covered.
- Bake for 8 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with chocolate chips.
- Slide pan back into the oven for 2-3 minutes to slightly melt the chips.
- Remove pan from oven and spread the melting chips evenly over the top of everything.
- Top with sliced almonds (if using).
- Let pan cool.
- Once cooled, you can either break the toffee apart or cut it. Whichever way you prefer.
Welcome to My Man's Belly! Leave me a comment and let me know what you think about the site or if there's a recipe you'd like to see here. Have a great day.