This pretty grapefruit salad is the perfect way to highlight winter’s best citrus fruit. Bright pink grapefruit slices with green avocado. It’s preppy on a plate.
Winter can be a bit hum drum when it comes to the produce department at your local grocery store. Sure, there’s quite a bit of out of season fruit coming in from other parts of the world, but every time you buy it you’re sorry you did because no matter how good it looks, there’s just no flavor. I feel your pain.
But there is a bright side (literally bright) to winter fruits…citrus! There’s pink and white grapefruit, bright red/orange blood oranges, pinkish Cara Cara oranges, bright orange navel oranges, sunny yellow lemons, sweet and sunny Meyer lemons, and bright green limes.
In the past, I’ve posted a citrus salad, but today I wanted to show you that you can make a salad with just one of the beautiful gems of winter, pink grapefruit.
This grapefruit salad is fresh and light and so easy to put together. I also used avocados, cucumbers, red onions and buttercrunch lettuce. But this salad would taste just as good with simply grapefruit and avocado. I just wanted the salad to be a bit more filling.
I used a simple dressing recipe, that I changed just a bit, from Alice Waters. Her recipe calls for shallots and grapefruit zest. I left out the shallots because I had the red onions in the salad and I left out the zest because I didn’t feel like zesting the grapefruit. But the lightness of this dressing is perfect with all the fruit and vegetables.
So the next time you’re at the grocery store and you’re scratching your head over what kind of fruit to get, pick up some pink grapefruits and make this simple grapefruit salad. It will definitely brighten your mood.
- 2 pink grapefruits
- 1 large avocado, peeled and cut into slices
- ½ cucumber, peeled and sliced thinly
- 4 buttercrunch lettuce leaves
- sliced red onions
- sea salt
- Dressing Recipe
- 2 tablespoons pink grapefruit juice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- With a sharp knife, cut the skin and all of the white pith off of the grapefruits.
- Working over a bowl, cut in between the membranes to release the sections.
- Squeeze the juice from the remaining grapefruit membranes into the bowl.
- Arrange the lettuce on the plates and top with grapefruit and avocado slices.
- Insert the cucumber slices into gaps on the plate.
- Sprinkle top of salads with red onion slices.
- Dressing Recipe
- Measure out 2 tablespoons of the grapefruit juice from that which you got from the squeezed grapefruit and put it into a small bowl.
- Add the vinegar and oil to the bowl and whisk to combine.
- Drizzle over the salads.
- Sprinkle a bit of sea salt over each of the salads and serve.
Welcome to My Man's Belly! Leave me a comment and let me know what you think about the site or if there's a recipe you'd like to see here. Have a great day.