What could smell better than a big batch of Chex party mix baking in the oven? Not much. Make this for the big game and everyone will be happy.
I know lots of you only think of Chex party mix for the holidays, but it’s the perfect game day snack too. It’s packed full of all those little munchy things you can eat by the handful, so why not put them all together (with some seasonings and butter of course) in one GINORMOUS bowl?
When I was little, I loved the smell of the party mix being baked in the oven. It also told me mom and dad were having a party and I knew I’d be able to sneak down and grab a couple of handfuls of the crunchy stuff. Mom always made the recipe from the back of the box…which was just fine, but I’ve changed this one up a little bit.
I love this savory party mix. You’ve got the basic flavors from all of the different ingredients and then they combine with the seasoning mixture for a slightly different flavor for all of the different ingredients. It all comes together in one delicious handful of crunchiness.
You’ll find mixed nuts, Chex cereal, salty pretzels, pumpkin seeds and wheat sticks in this party mix. One of the cool things about this recipe is you can really play with the ingredients in here. Don’t want the cereal? Use Bugles. Love peanuts? Use those instead of the mixed nuts. Can’t find wheat sticks? Use broken potato sticks or maybe those little cheese crackers. You can really make this party mix special to your liking.
When you’re getting ready for your big game day party make up a big batch of this Chex party mix. You’re guests will love it and you’ll love how easy it is to make.
- 4 cups Chex cereal
- 3 cups wheat sticks
- 3 cups small pretzels, or pretzel sticks
- 2 cups roasted, unsalted, mixed nuts
- 1 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¾ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place racks in top and bottom third of oven.
- Toss the cereal, wheat sticks, pretzels, nuts and pumpkin seeds in a large bowl and set aside.
- Melt butter in a 1 cup measuring cup.
- Add Dijon mustard, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and paprika to the melted butter and stir to mix it all together.
- Once mixed, pour it over the cereal mixture and stir to thoroughly combine everything.
- Spread mixture evenly onto two rimmed baking sheets.
- Slide baking sheets into oven.
- Bake for 1 hour and stir the mixture every 15 minutes. (This helps to evenly spread the seasoning mixture and to toast the ingredients.)
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- Once cooled, everything will be nice and crisp.
- Store for up to 1 week in an airtight container.
Welcome to My Man's Belly! Leave me a comment and let me know what you think about the site or if there's a recipe you'd like to see here. Have a great day.