A classic Spanish tapa – tortilla española (Spanish omelette) is so easy to prepare. You can serve this as an easy appetizer or as a light lunch with a side salad.
I love an easy recipe that tastes delicious…don’t you? This Spanish omelette is one of those recipes.
Recently, I took a Spanish tapas class and this is one of the dishes we made. In Spain, this omelette is traditionally cut into squares and served as an appetizer. I like to top it with a bit of sour cream and a good sprinkling of cilantro. But you can also serve this as a light lunch or dinner. How’s that for a versatile recipe?
The traditional Spanish omelette recipe simply calls for onions, potatoes and eggs, but I like to add a bit of good Spanish chorizo for an extra bit of flavor. Oh, Spanish chorizo is different from Mexican chorizo. The Spanish version is more like a salami whereas the Mexican version is a softer sausage product. So you want to make sure you get the Spanish chorizo for this recipe.
To make this Spanish omelette you need an oven safe, non-stick skillet. You start making this omelette on the stove top and finish it off in the oven. You could make the whole thing on the stovetop, but you run the risk of potentially burning the bottom of the omelette. So I finish cooking it off in the oven. This ensures that it’s cooked all the way through and nothing gets burnt. Which obviously would be bad.
While I top mine with sour cream, you could make a garlic mayonnaise to top it off. Simply mix a finely minced garlic clove in 1/2 cup of mayo. The garlic adds a lot of flavor to this simple dish. I’m just typically a bit too lazy to do this step.
If you’re looking for a light dinner or simple appetizer recipe, this Spanish tapa is what you want to make. You and your guests will love it!
- 5 eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- ½ pound (about 2 medium) Yukon gold or new potatoes, diced into ½ inch pieces
- ⅓ pound Spanish chorizo, diced into ½ inch pieces
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, thoroughly whisk eggs and salt together and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a medium oven safe, non-stick skillet over medium heat.Once oil is hot, add the onions and potatoes. Stirring occasionally, cook for 5 minutes then add the chorizo to the pan. Cook for another 5 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Continue to stir occasionally.
- Pour the eggs into the pan and let them cook until you see the edges begin to pull away from the side of the pan.
- Remove the pan from the heat and pop the pan into the oven to cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Place a large cutting board over the pan and turn the whole thing over to release the omelette onto the cutting board.
- Cut into squares and top with your desired topping.
Welcome to My Man's Belly! Leave me a comment and let me know what you think about the site or if there's a recipe you'd like to see here. Have a great day.