An easy lemon blueberry loaf cake that’s topped with a luscious lemon glaze. It’s perfect for a little snack or simple dessert.
This lemon blueberry loaf cake is the stuff lemon dreams are made of. It’s so full of that bright, citrusy lemon flavor you’re sure to fall in love with it. Based on the pictures, you’d think it was the blueberries that are the star of the show, but they’re really more of the backup singers in this cake.
I know this is supposed to be a dessert or snack cake, but Craig and I couldn’t help ourselves to shoveling down pieces of this cake with a cup of coffee for breakfast. I mean, look at this cake! How do you resist that? The answer is…you don’t. Don’t even try because your actions will be futile. You will cave in to your desire for eating this cake. Piece after piece after piece.
For those of you who have a burning question regarding the use of baking powder, I have graphic evidence for why you need it in recipes. See the flat, icky looking loaf on the right? That loaf was made without baking powder. The one on the left was made with baking powder. Aside from the height difference (baking powder mixed with an acid makes thing rise), the crumb of the cake is also made by the use of this ingredient. The cake on the right doesn’t have a crumb at all. It’s just a dense block of ingredients.
I hope you like this little show and tell about ingredients. I did not intentionally make the lemon blueberry brick. I wasn’t paying attention to my notes and plopped the pan in the oven. About halfway through the baking process I realized my lemon blueberry loaf was looking more and more like a lemon blueberry disaster. So I thought I’d use my mistake as a teaching opportunity. You’re welcome. 😉
Assuming you follow the directions when making this cake, you will have a gorgeous lemon blueberry loaf cake that you can covet for yourself or share and make many people happy. Just don’t leave out the baking powder.
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup sour cream
- zest from 2 lemons
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- For the Lemon Glaze
- 1 cup confectioner's sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Whisk melted butter, sugar, lemon juice and eggs together until the eggs are lighter in color and everything is thoroughly blended together.
- In a large bowl add the flour, baking powder and salt and whisk to thoroughly combine.
- Whisk in the flour to the eggs alternating with adding the sour cream to the eggs. Whisk between each addition and make sure everything is well blended before adding the next batch of flour or sour cream.
- Fold in the lemon zest and blueberries.
- Grease an 8"x4" loaf pan and pour the batter into the pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and continue to bake for another 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Let cool for 10 minutes then remove from pan.
- For the Lemon Glaze
- Combine the confectioner's sugar with the lemon juice and mix until there are no lumps remaining.
- Pour over lemon blueberry loaf while the loaf is still warm.
- Serve warm or let the loaf cool completely before serving.
Welcome to My Man's Belly! Leave me a comment and let me know what you think about the site or if there's a recipe you'd like to see here. Have a great day.