These Asian Salmon Burgers are big on flavor. They are amazingly delicious, full of rich salmon, gochujang, fresh herbs and green onion.
Believe it or not, it’s getting close to grilling season. I know a lot of you can’t get there soon enough (since that massive blizzard is still fresh in your memory). These Asian salmon burgers can be grilled outside or inside. I grilled them inside on my cast iron grill pan, but you could also cook them in a regular non-grill pan. So lets just say these salmon burgers are flexible. That’s what we want anyway isn’t it? Flexibility.
These salmon burgers are full of traditionally Asian flavors like that oh so popular right now gochujang, ginger, mirin, soy sauce, and sesame oil.
A while ago I posted a salmon burgers recipe with tangy parsley sauce. That burger was a bit more straight forward with its flavors. It’s the perfect burger to put on a bun with lettuce, tomato, and onion. This burger has lots of flavors but they’re a bit more subtle. I like putting this Asian salmon burger on a big bed of greens with lots of salad fixings like cucumber, red onion, and tomatoes.
I didn’t come up with an Asian inspired topping or salad dressing for this burger because there are so many good one’s available. I just topped mine with olive oil and a little rice wine vinegar to keep things super simple. I also wanted the flavors in the burger to come through and not be masked by a heavily flavored dressing.
It’s time to break out the grill, or grill pan, and get these Asian salmon patties going. It’ll be a great way to kick off Spring and get you in the mood for grilling season.
- 1½ pounds wild salmon, skinless
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint, chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped fine
- 2 green onions, chopped into small pieces
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon gochujang paste
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons mirin
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- ½ teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- Place salmon in freezer for 20 minutes. This is so the fish hardens up a little bit and makes it easier to chop up.
- Chop salmon into ⅛"-1/4" pieces.
- Add egg to large bowl and whisk until it's thoroughly beaten.
- Add salmon to the bowl along with the remaining ingredients.
- Use a large spatula to mix everything thoroughly.
- Let mixture rest for 5 minutes. This helps everything to come together and makes it stick together better when you're making the burgers.
- Divide mixture into 4 equal portions. Gently mold the fish mixture into 1" thick patties and place on a plate. Continue this with all of the mixture.
- Oil your grill pan and heat over medium heat.
- Once pan is hot, place your patties into the pan. Let them cook for 4-5 minutes per side.
- Serve burgers as is or on top of a big green salad.
Welcome to My Man's Belly! Leave me a comment and let me know what you think about the site or if there's a recipe you'd like to see here. Have a great day.